Library Media Specialist
Under the general supervision of the Principal, to assist students, and teaching staff with an enriching library/media center environment with a wide range of reading and other educational materials; maintains library collection at school site; develops appropriate programs for students utilizing library resources; and instructs students and others on the proper use of the library resources.
- Operates and supervises the media enter.
- Evaluates, selects and requisitions appropriate books, aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Assists students in evaluating their aptitudes and abilities through the interpretation of individual standardized test scores and other pertinent data, and works with students in developing education and occupation plans consistent with such evaluation.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to assist in the selection of books and other instructional materials; keeps students and teaching staff informed regarding new acquisitions for use in the media center.
- Serves as ready resource to students to provide research assistance.
- Maintains a comprehensive and efficient system for cataloguing all media center materials; assists students and teachers with the use of the system.
- Coordinates system of lending library material to students and teachers.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the media center.
- Participates in lessons with classroom teachers.
- Develops and arranges media center displays.
- Assists with the preparation and administration of the media center budget.
- Trains and supervises media center support employees.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of pre/post high school program eligibility requirements.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
- State Certification as a Librarian or Library/Media Specialist or as required for positions.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt