Elementary Guidance Counselor -Copper Canyon Elementary/Middle Canyon Elementary
Under the general supervision of the building Principal and Counseling & Social Services Director, follows USBE and Tooele County School District standards and objectives to develop students' skills to provide students, parents, administrators, and other teaching staff with information on career and or educational opportunities; administer and interpret career assessment tools; and assist students in developing educational and occupational goals and plans. This position is split between Middle Canyon Elementary and Copper Canyon Elementary Schools.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Prepare and deliver classroom lessons
- Assess student needs to support group counseling
- Support student academic, behavior, and mental health needs
- Prepares students for college and career readiness.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with guidance services.
- Assists with the school district's dropout prevention efforts.
- Serves as ready resource to students to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and maturity.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships with members of institutions of higher learning and the business community.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Assists in the orientation of new teachers, and provides in-service training in guidance.
- Assists and supports in the implementation of SEL curriculum and behaviors.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
This position is split between Middle Canyon Elementary and Copper Canyon Elementary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Utah model for comprehensive guidance.
- Knowledge of pre/post high school program eligibility requirements.
- Knowledge of current developments in business and industry regarding career opportunities and employment.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Understanding of Utah FERPA law and guidelines
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Applicants must have a Current Utah License or have the ability to obtain a current Utah license as outlined by the guidelines of the Utah State Board of Education (USBE).
- USBE License Area: School Counselor (K-12)
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
Note to Counselors licensed outside of Utah: Reciprocity with other states regarding licensure is not guaranteed and in contingent on fulfilling minimum license requirements for Utah. For more information about obtaining a Utah license ego to www.schools.utah.gov/cert/Out-of-State-License.aspx
- Master Degree from an accredited college or university in Comprehensive Guidance education discipline.
Successful prior counseling experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Full time, 197 day, equal pay position
Certified Salary Schedule
Benefit eligible at a full-time certified rate
8 days sick leave and 4 days personal leave per fiscal year