School-Based Mental Health Professional
San Carlos Unified School District #20
Office of Human Resources
P.O. Box 207, San Carlos, Arizona 85550
Phone (928) 475-2315 ? Fax (928) 475-2301
Mission: We exist to educate and empower students to become culturally responsive, global Nn’ee
Vision: We will become an effective student focused learning community graduating culturally confident citizens.
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 18-429
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Discrimination against an otherwise qualified individual with a disability or any individual by reason of race, color, religion, sex, and age or national origin is prohibited. Efforts will be made in recruitment and employment to ensure equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons. San Carlos Unified School District Governing Board Policy No. GBA. San Carlos Schools does recognize Native American Preference in Employment.
Position Title: School-Based Mental Health Professional
Provides direct services including evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of issues including childhood trauma, mental illness, substance abuse, and domestic violence to school age population and families; as well as consultative services to instructional staff in elementary, middle and high school campuses as needed.
· Shared supervision of counseling staff
· Provides supportive individual, group, and family counseling/therapy in the school setting
· Gathers and analyzes information on students through a variety of methods that may include observation, interviews, self-report inventories, group discussions, and/or formal assessments such as functional behavior assessments
· Diagnoses and provides appropriate treatments for students and families as appropriate
· Identifies problematic behavioral, communication, and relationship patterns
· Collaborates with instructional staff and family member(s) to develop plans to positively manage and respond to issues
· Guides students in developing and strengthening positive, effective communication skills
· Guides students in developing and strengthening positive, healthy choices to replace unhealthy or dysfunctional behaviors
· Provides consultation to instructional staff and family member(s) regarding impact of psychological distress on learning and behavior
· Collaborates with community practitioners as appropriate
· Develops and maintains accurate records regarding case progress, evaluations, and any further treatment recommendations
· Completes and submits necessary paperwork to insurance companies as applicable
· Maintains compliance with ethical codes and standards
· Performs other related duties as assigned
· Superior verbal and written communication skills
· Compassionate and empathetic with a strong ability to establish and build trust
· Excellent listening skills
· Ability to remain calm and reassuring in tense situations and to de-escalate volatile situations
· Thorough understanding of human behavior, various behavioral and affective disorders, and the diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of these disorders.
· Organizational skills required to manage complex, deadline-driven paperwork including billing and insurance claims.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
· Thorough understanding of applicable ethical codes and standards.
Education and Experience:
· Must be licensed by the Arizona State Board of Behavioral Health Examiners to provide independent behavioral health counseling
· Experience with Native American populations preferred
· Experience with adolescents preferred
· Experience and/or education related to trauma informed approaches a plus
· Prolonged periods sitting, listening, and observing or working on a computer.
· Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
· Certified – Professional (12MO Exempt)
· Funded from Impact Aid 378 and Gaming 020: 50/50
Board Approved March 10, 2020
EVALUATION: Performance of this position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Personnel.
Please apply online at sancarlosbraves.org go to Employment, then to Applitrak our online application system. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Human Resource Department Manager at (928) 475-2315, Ext. 1001.