Special Education Teacher
Posted 13 days ago
Monona Grove School District: Monona Grove School District has an opening for a 1.0 FTE Special Education Teacher at Glacial Drumlin School. Position begins approximately August 17, 2020.
Essential Role Responsibilities:
- Serve as a learning strategist in support of all learners and co-plan to co-serve with teams of teachers in inclusive classroom settings.
- Serve as case manager for students with disabilities, including coordination of evaluations, reevaluations, and dismissals.
- Develop students’ IEPs and adhere to legally mandated deadlines and district expectations for special education practices and procedures.
- Monitor students’ academic and behavioral progress (through data collection and analysis) to guide instructional decisions. Monitor and address IEP goals.
- Apply principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) through multiple means of representation, engagement, and assessment supporting reciprocal learning strategies.
- Support proportional representation of all learners in all classrooms.
- Communicate proactively and effectively with teachers, service providers, and administrators.
- Collaborate with colleagues, including general education teachers, to provide a range of academic and social-emotional support to students in inclusive classroom settings.
- Collaborate with school improvement teams and align practice with the MGSD Equity Non-Negotiables.
- Collaborate and work with offsite providers including travel to offsite programs when necessary in order to provide services to students.
- Establish effective rapport and build strong relationships with students.
- Develop positive relationships and engage in open reciprocal communication with parents and families.
- Attend work regularly.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Passionate about student learning.
- Active supporter and ally for equity.
- Proactive communicator and relationship builder.
- Reflective learner.
- Resilient, resourceful collaborator.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with legal requirements of special education knowledge and ability to comply with best practices in providing instruction and support to students with disabilities in integrated and inclusive classroom settings.
- Knowledge of Positive Behavior Interventions and Support (PBIS).
- Experience writing IEPs, conducting meetings and case managing required.
- Working knowledge of general education curriculum and experience with Co-Planning Working knowledge of Universal Design for Learning and culturally relevant instructional practice preferred.
- Understanding of equity as it relates to public education and one’s role in creating and maintaining equitable systems and practices.
- Ability to connect and report data required by state and federal agencies.
- Experience working with diverse learners preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communicate skills.
- Ability to work positively and productively as an active member of a vibrant teaching team.
- Ability to use technology in support of learning and instruction.
- Valid WI Department of Public Instruction Special Education (1801, 1809) license, or ability to obtain license upon hire required
- Early Adolescence – Adolescence or;
- Appropriate grade level
Monona Grove School District is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from diverse, bi-lingual or multi-lingual candidates. MGSD does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age.