Assistant Director of Transportation
Job Title: Transportation Assistant Director
Exemption Status: Exempt
Reports to: Director of Transportation
Pay Grade: 02
Works with: District Personnel
Dept./School: Transportation Dept.
- High School diploma or GED; and
- Clear and valid Texas commercial driver’s license (CDL) with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements or have the ability to obtain it.
- Ability to use personal computer and software to develop route schedules, spreadsheets and databases and do word processing
- Ability to read and understand documents including policies and procedures manuals
- Ability to receive and give written and verbal instructions
- Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical exam
- Effective organizational and communication skills
- Ability to operate a bus
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive rapport with all team members
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist with the delivery of transportation services for students and ensure that they are picked up and arrive safely and on time in accordance with Texas Education Agency guidelines.
- Assist in overseeing preparation and updating of bus routes and schedules for all schools in district and develop plans to meet future transportation needs.
- Communicate changes in routes and scheduling to campuses and the public when warranted.
- Coordinate the transportation for extracurricular activities and special programs.
- Assist in the assignment of bus drivers to routes and find substitutes as needed.
- Assist in overseeing repair of all district-owned vehicles and preventive maintenance. Ensure that vehicle repair requests and work orders are prioritized and processed in a timely manner. Contract for outside services that cannot be performed in shop.
- Coordinate and schedule all summer school routes.
- Assist in maintaining all reports, records, and other documents required. Prepare, process, and maintain all documents required to verify safety certification and alcohol and drug testing of bus drivers.
- Assist in investigative reports and concerns and take appropriate action to resolve issues.
- Assist in the selection, training and evaluation of staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
- Enforce safety standards that conform to state, federal, and insurance regulations.
- Assist in assessing road conditions and hazards and advise administration about inclement weather conditions that may result in delayed starts or the closing of schools.
- Assist in reporting and investigating school bus accidents and student safety violations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Tools/Equipment Used: Versatrans Routing Software, SEON Camera Software& Devices, E-Link, Bee Hive Software, Student Conduct Software, Radio communication equipment, standard office equipment including personal computer ,peripherals, and intercom system.
Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, twisting, and transport of up to 50lbs.
Motion: Repetitive hand motions including frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying
Environment: May work prolonged or irregular hours; inside, outside, hot and cold conditions; also some conditions may require safety equipment and protection, work around moving objects or vehicles; exposure to dampness and humidity; slippery or uneven surfaces.
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress