JobID 1220 : English Teacher (#2094223)
ENGLISH TEACHER - HORACE HIGH SCHOOL
POSITION: English Teacher - Horace High School
TERM: 188 day contract beginning with the 2020-2021 School Year
SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the principal, to develop students' skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing, foster communication skills, develop an understanding and appreciation of literature of all types, motivate students to read a wide variety of publications to derive information, comprehend and critically assess the reading materials, and to promote the development of skills in the field of English reading, grammar and syntax.
- Develop and administer English education curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promote a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials and translate lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Teach knowledge and skills in English grammar and syntax, sentence and paragraph structure, composition, vocabulary and proper word usage, word denotations and connotations, creative writing, independent thinking, communication and speaking.
- Develop standards for critical analysis through group discussions on a variety of reading materials, including the mass media, and a wide range of literature.
- Work with students and others to prepare materials for inclusion in literary publications, contests, etc.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs.
- Continue to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organize and maintain a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourage parental involvement in students education and ensure effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensure that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinate with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participate in faculty meetings and committees.
- Select and requisition appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- ND Teaching License with appropriate qualifications to teach English in grades 9-12
- Bachelor's Degree in English Education or closely related field
- Ability to develop positive relationships with students, colleagues and the school community
- Ability to work well with others, resolve controversy and conflict through respectful negotiation, and accept constructive feedback
- Strong communication skills to facilitate connection and sharing of thoughts and ideas in multiple formats with diverse audiences
- Ability to reason, interpret, and analyze information to generate new knowledge and understanding
- Adept at problem-solving, resilient when faced with challenges, and skilled in planning and organization
- Experience working in a high school setting preferred
- Prior teaching experience preferred
SALARY: 2020-2021 Teacher's Salary Schedule
WFPS offers a competitve salary and benefits package commensurate with experience and education.
The WFPS District funds the entire 11.75% employee contribution to TFFR, as well as the 12.75% employer contribution.
DEADLINE: April 9, 2020 or Until Filled
TO APPLY: https://www.applitrack.com/westfargo/onlineapp/
The West Fargo Public School District is an equal opportunity employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, marital status or participation in lawful activities in all educational programs and employment practices. We are committed to maintaining a learning and working environment free from discrimination and harassment. External applicants are eligible for ND Veteran’s Preference: North Dakota veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a form DD214, and if claiming disabled veteran's status, a current letter of disability.