JobID 9272 : Media Specialist (2020-2021 SY) (#2093996)
POSITION PURPOSE: To create and maintain a positive, stimulating environment for students to promote a culture of learning. To provide the leadership and instructional resources and services for implementation of a school library media program that serves as an integral part of a student-centered educational process. Coordinates and directs the activities of school library media support personnel including library media assistants, technical assistants, student assistants, and volunteers.
- Assesses learning and information needs of students and staff.
- Plans and works collaboratively with teachers.
- Instructs students and staff in the effective use of ideas and information.
- Incorporates information literacy into day-to-day instruction.
- Advocates and promotes reading and lifelong learning.
- Upgrades professional knowledge and skills on a continual basis.
- Works with the principal and school leadership team to provide flexible access to school library media center resources.
- Creates and maintains an environment conducive to learning.
- Leads teachers, technology staff, and students in a collaborative process to select and evaluate resources that address curricular needs and learning goals of students and teachers in the information age.
- Works cooperatively with other libraries and agencies to share resources that enhance teaching and learning.
- Evaluates the school library media program on a continual basis according to accepted standards of quality.
- Demonstrates professional integrity through ethical behavior.
- Prepares and submits accurate reports as required.
- Carries out assigned non-instructional duties and adheres to established laws, policies, rules, and regulations.
- Must have a valid South Carolina teaching or be able to obtain one within 60 days from being hired.
- Must have completed a program of study in education from an accredited college or university.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
Speak and hear.
Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, technology equipment, computers, and/or controls.RK PLACE EXPECTATIONS:
- Work effectively with and respond to diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, and dress in a neat, clean and professional manner for the assignment and work setting.
- Have regular and punctual attendance.
- Follow all District policies, work procedures, and reasonable requests by the proper authorities.
REPORTS TO: Principal
DAYS PER YEAR: 195
SALARY CLASSIFICATION: Paid on the Certified Personnel Salary Schedule
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Certified
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Must apply online by completing an "Certified" application and adding this specific job to your online application.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EMPLOYEE'S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT STATEMENT:
1. I have reviewed the above position description and understand its contents.
2. I am aware that my position description may be revised or updated at any time and once notified of changes, I remain responsible for knowledge of its contents.
3. I hereby certify that I possess the physical and mental ability to fulfill the essential functions of the above position with or without reasonable accommodation(s). If I require accommodation(s) in order to fulfill any or all of these functions, I agree to provide information to the District regarding the requested accommodation(s).
Employee's Name (Print): ___________________________________
Employee's Signature: ___________________________________