Health/PE (0.50 FTE)
Contract Days: 185 Days
Anticipated Start Date: August 18, 2020
FLSA Status: Exempt
Priority Screen Date: Close of business on March 27, 2020
SUMMARY: This position plans and provides instruction to students based on state, District, and school curricula and requirements, and based on the students’ social and other formative needs.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Plan and Prepare Instruction
- Creates developmentally and linguistically appropriate and challenging learning experiences.
- Develops lessons that are accessible and culturally relevant based on individual students’ strengths, interest and needs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Utah Core Standards and references them in short- and long-term planning.
- Incorporates disciplinary-specific literacy skills into instruction to purposefully engage learners in interacting with content knowledge.
- Establishes a Classroom Climate Conducive to Learning
- Develops learning experiences that engage and support students as self-directed learners who internalize classroom routines, expectations and procedures.
- Collaborates with students to establish a positive learning climate of openness, respectful interactions, support and inquiry.
- Utilizes positive classroom management strategies, including the resources of time, space and attention effectively.
- Provides Effective Instruction
- Bases instruction on accurate content knowledge using multiple representations of concepts and appropriate academic language.
- Practices a range of developmentally and culturally appropriate instructional strategies that engage and meet the needs of individuals and groups of learners.
- Provides multiple opportunities for students to develop higher-order and meta-cognitive skills.
- Supports and expands English language development and communication skills through reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Uses a variety of available and appropriate technology and resources to support learning.
- Monitors Student Learning
- Allows students different ways to demonstrate learning sensitive to multiple experiences and diversity, while holding high expectations.
- Uses both formative and summative data sources to assess the effectiveness of instruction and to make adjustments in planning and instruction.
- Documents student progress and provides descriptive feedback to students, parent and other stakeholders in a variety of ways.
- Invest in Teaching Profession
- Collaborates with families, colleagues and other professional to promote student growth and development.
- Adapts and improves practice based on reflection and new learning.
- Engages in learning experiences to enhance self and support others.
- Participates actively in decision-making processes while building a shared culture that affects the school and larger educational community.
- Advocates for the learner, the school, the community and the profession.
- Is responsible for compliance with federal and state laws, State Board of Education administrative rules, state assessment polices, Salt Lake City School District board policies and supervisory directives.
- Is responsible for compliance with all requirements of State Board of Education Rule R277-530 Utah Effective Educator Standards at all levels to teacher development.
- Is responsible for compliance with all requirements of State Board of Education Rule R277-515 Utah Educator Professional Standards.
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance to fulfill job requirements in an efficient and effective manner; required to attend activities, events and meetings outside of normal work hours on a regular basis.
- Maintain professional workplace etiquette and represents the department/district in a professional manner; communicate effectively and efficiently with diverse groups of people while maintaining confidentiality and positive working relationships with co-workers, students, parents, and other district employees.
- Demonstrates adaptability and understanding of cultural differences in working in a diverse environment while coping with stressful situations related to students and maintaining confidentiality.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to ensure the efficient and effective operations of the school
- Valid State of Utah Secondary Teaching License and a PE and Health endorsement or an associate license or an out of state license that will transfer to Utah.
- Professional communication skills including, but not limited to: excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; confident, articulate, and professional speaking abilities; and empathic listening and persuasive speaking skills.
- Spanish Speaker: speaks, reads, writes and understands spoken Spanish
- Have an ESL endorsement
- Previous teaching experience
- Experience with Canvas and writing online curriculum
- Effective mentoring and working with students in a collaborative way
- Experience with grade level/content PLC’s/data meetings for analysis of student data to inform instructional practices for highest student achievement
- Knowledge of effective English Language Learners teaching practices; student social-emotional learning, accelerated/extended learning programs and special needs students, including laws and regulations of special education and 504 plans.
Work Environment Requirements:
- Risks found in the typical work environment which is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations.
- Driving to work locations
- Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to perform the work: however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying light items, etc…