Position Title: Irrigation Technician
Direct Supervisor: Supervisor of Grounds
Work Calendar: Custodial Maintenance: 260 days; Full-time
Salary Schedule: Facilities, Technology and Transportation Level Support: Irrigation Technician
Under the direction of the Supervisor of Grounds, the Irrigation Technician is responsible for installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of district property irrigation systems to ensure irrigation systems are properly maintained and operating at peak efficiency. This individual must be committed to District goals and policies to provide students with an attractive, safe, and natural environment in which to learn and play.
ESSENTIAL REQUIRED DUTIES
- Maintain high standards of confidentiality, attendance, and flexibility, while working cooperatively with supervisors and other employees.
- Ensures that District properties remain safe and functional.
- Install irrigation timers, piping and valves.
- Troubleshoot and repair irrigation pipe and fittings.
- Troubleshoot and repair electrical components and central irrigation control computers.
- Perform general and seasonal system maintenance.
- System start-ups, evaluation and winterization.
- Perform backflow tests; test irrigation systems for proper functioning of valves and times; record detailed inspections.
- Locate, excavate and repair or replace damaged or malfunctioning equipment.
- Responsible for the purchasing of repair parts, keeping accurate inventory.
- Think critically to solve problems and complete repairs with minimal impact to lawn or landscape.
- Effectively assess water efficiency and make adjustments to quickly correct over or under watering.
- Be proactive with diagnosing and repairing any irrigation issues.
- Ensure that District properties remain safe and functional.
- Operates a variety of equipment (backhoes, dump trucks, bobcats, trenchers, etc) in safe and professional manner for maintaining District grounds.
- Performs routine maintenance and minor repairs as needed to ensure District equipment is available in a safe operating condition.
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, vandalism, injured or ill students, alarms, etc.) by taking appropriate action and/or notifying appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Perform snow removal services as warranted and as shall be assigned by the supervisor.In addition, monitor and maintain walkways and parking areas in as snow and ice free a condition as reasonable possible on a daily basis.
- Work under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods.
- Attends educational seminars and meetings for the purpose of enhancing knowledge of safety concerns and resolving related issues.
- All other responsibilities as shall be assigned by the supervisor.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in in the maintenance and repair of automatic sprinkler systems.
- Familiarity with computers and software relating to maintenance and inventory.
- Ability to read and understand labels.
- Ability to read and understand material safety data sheets (MSDS).
- Ability to prioritize, initiate and complete assigned duties.
- May be required to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions.
The physical requirements indicated below are examples of the physical aspects that this position classification must perform in carrying out essential job functions.
- Persons performing service in this position will exert 5 to 100 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move equipment or objects.
- Ascending and descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and ramps.
- Walking or standing for extended periods.
- Perceiving the nature of sound, near and far vision, depth perception, providing oral information, the manual dexterity to operate equipment and use hand tools.
- Handling and working with various materials and chemicals.
- Exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions.
Possession of a valid Colorado Motor Vehicle Operator’s License and qualify under the district’s insurance carrier when driving a district vehicle.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
Insurability by the District’s liability insurance carrier.