JobID 204 : Extra Duty - Varsity Girls Basketball Head Coach (#2079294)
EXTRA DUTY JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Varsity Head Coach
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Athletics
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
CONTRACT STATUS: Extra Duty
APPROVED BY: Zach Duffield
APPROVED DATE: 4/30/19
SUMMARY: Coordinates and manages the functions for the sport’s program of Owasso Public Schools grades 8 – 12. Those functions include overseeing budgeting, planning, organizing and managing all coaches within the program from all secondary grades.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: These statements are intended to describe the responsibilities assigned to this position and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Secure, oversee, and maintain a quality staff of coaches at all levels
- Provide staff orientation
- Operate the program within the budget assigned by the Athletic Department.
- Oversee all fundraising directly related to the program
- Work directly with the Executive Director of Athletics with regard to all scheduling
- Oversee the transportation and travel needs of the program
- Coordinate all camps involving the program
- Oversee the securing and proper maintenance of any equipment within the program
- Coordinate with the Athletic Department maintenance of any facilities
- Provide leadership and direction for the Booster Club
- Coordinate master calendar
- Serve as the program’s liaison with community, state, and conference organizations
- Comply with all OSSAA regulations and responsibilities
- Maintain membership with in the Oklahoma Coaches’ Association in order to pursue post-season honors for student-athletes
- Coordinate with the Athletic Department an up-to-date and current roster
- Represent the program in all Department meetings and relevant functions
- Maintain a disciplined program and implement the character education program within the program.
- All other duties as assigned
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Coaches
QUALIFICATION: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Valid Oklahoma teaching certificate
- Certificates as determined by Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association (OSSAA)
- Previous experience in leading an athletic program highly desired
- Commercial Drivers Licence (CDL) preferred
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Computer literate; excellent written and oral communication ability; strong knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and laws applicable to education and special education; expertise in Oklahoma State Department of Education regulations related to curriculum and instruction. Ability to follow all district policies and procedures. Demonstrating strong communication skills, orally and in writing, with faculty, staff, team members, and administrators. Ability to work without supervision, and work as a team player. Ability to document records accurately. Ability to manage confidential information in a manner that respects students, families, and employees. Ability to listen effectively. Ability to maintain emotional control under stressful situations and when working with students exhibiting non-compliant behaviors.
Must maintain a high degree of professionalism through the following attributes and behaviors:
- Empathy and positive regard for others in written, verbal, and non-verbal communications.
- Work effectively with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality, respect for deadlines, collaborative problem solving, and honest communication.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in situations of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintain proficiency as needed by attending training, reading job-related materials, and meeting with others in the area of responsibility.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality and safety. Maintain a professional and orderly workplace
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret English language.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts and mathematical operations to tasks.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written and oral instructions. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
LICENSES and REGISTRATIONS: Current driver’s license in good standing.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
There will be some physical exertion. The position requires mobility. While performing the duties of this position, the employee will spend substantial time on their feet in an active setting. Additionally there will be a need to frequently sit, communicate, reach and manipulate objects, tools, or controls. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds on a regular basis and up to 30 pounds on an occasional basis. Manual dexterity and coordination are required less than 30% of the work period while operating equipment such as computer keyboard, mouse, projector, and similar machines.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Activities associated with games, practice, and usual office working conditions. Travel, evening, and weekend hours will be necessary to attend events, meetings, and statewide events.