JobID 4891 : Custodian- Full time (#2072946)
Under direct supervision of the School Principal and Head Custodian, provides responsible daily custodial operations, maintains a sanitary and safe facility for students, employees and the public; minimizes property damage, loss and liability exposure; ensures that assignments are completed in a safe, proper and timely manner.
- Cleans assigned school facilities (e.g. classrooms, offices, gym, restrooms, grounds) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe work environment.
- Delivers various items and materials (e.g. supplies, mail, packages, furniture) for the purpose of ensuring adequate supplies to the appropriate parties.
- Informs students, other site personnel and supervisor for the purpose of providing information regarding activities, safety and/or proper maintenance of facilities.
- Inspects school facilities for the purpose of ensuring that the site is suitable for safe operations, maintained in clean condition, and identifying necessary repairs.
- Maintain preventative maintenance schedule for heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment, including air filter changes, fan motors and belts, light bulbs, etc.
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, alarms) for the purpose of taking appropriate action to resolve immediate safety issues and maintaining a functioning educational environment.
- Checks buildings and grounds to ensure that they are properly cleaned.
- Ensures shrubs, lawns and flower beds are trimmed clean and safe.
- Arranges furniture and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparations for meetings, classroom activities and events.
- Works with school district employees, service companies and contractors to maintain and improve the work environment.
- Solicits price proposals from vendors for supplies and equipment and assists with soliciting of price proposals from outside contractors.
- Knowledge of responds to system failures, location shut off procedures for water, fire sprinklers, gas and electric.
- Attends in-service training (e.g. blood born pathogens, cleaning solvents, floor care, first aid, etc.) for the purpose of receiving information on new and/or improved procedures.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring a clean, safe work environment.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Use hand tools of trade and related power equipment, including brooms, mops, floor cleaning and waxing machines, vacuum cleaners, snow blowers, shovels, power mower and hand tools.
- Use of personal computer.
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper use of tools and power equipment used in the performance of duties.
- Wears appropriate safety gear, including masks.
- Must comply with school district's chemical hygiene program and follow MSDS sheets.
Must work standard assigned schedule and overtime as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Ability to describe orally or in writing cleaning, maintenance or repair problems as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Ability to read labels on containers and materials used in the course of work.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to process paperwork accurately according to standardized procedures.
- Knowledge of how to use equipment, and train others in the use of equipment.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions.
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals, solvents and contaminated trash, grasses, pollens, etc.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- High School Diploma or equevalent.
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying.
- Previous successful experience in custodial work a plus.
- Utah Motor Vehicle Operator's license.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Full time, 12 month employee
Support Professional Employees Salary Schedule
Benefit Eligible at a classified, full time rate
12 sick leave days and 10 annual leave days per fiscal year