Registered Nurse (Districtwide)
Job | Posted 3 months ago
Full Time Position (1.0 FTE)
Full Time Position (1.0 FTE)
The employee identifies and treats health disorders among students and provides instruction in maintenance of good health and disease prevention. The employee must evaluate the physical and mental health of students and refer students to appropriate resources as needed. Decisions made by the employee require discretionary judgments and analysis. The work of the employee is seldom reviewed while in progress and is performed under minimal supervision.
- Graduation from a school of nursing, accredited by the National League of Nursing.
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Alaska required.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing preferred.
- Experience working with children and adolescents is preferred.
- A valid Alaska Driver’s license is required.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of nursing in an educational environment including but not limited to:
- Normal growth and development.
- The uses, actions and effects of medications.
- Psychological and medical disorders and treatments.
- Child abuse and neglect.
- Medical terminology and health screening equipment.
- Basic CPR (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation).
- Skill in application of nursing techniques.
- Working knowledge of the roles of other school professionals and utilization of others to meet the needs of individual students.
- Working knowledge of public health problems and procedures for treatment in coordination with other health and social service agencies.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations affecting the delivery of school health services.
- Working knowledge of the school organization and the community served.
- Think, act quickly and provide direction in the event of emergency situations.
- Observe, assess, plan, treat, and then evaluate changes in physical, behavioral and mental condition of students and staff.
- Interpret and carry out medical orders.
- Manage medically fragile students in the school environment.
- Administer treatments and medications and observe for and report adverse reactions.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with students, staff, families, educators, health providers and other involved parties.
- Coordinate and facilitate services between the school, local health agencies and other community resources.
- Develop and maintain health records and prepare appropriate reports.
- Use a computer for data entry and communication.
- Follow school board policy and professional nursing standards.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time 9-month position, with a minimum salary of $30.88 per hour. We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) plan, and paid time off. This position is represented by the Juneau Education Support Staff (JESS) bargaining agreement.
Selected hire will be fingerprinted at applicant's expense and fingerprints will be forwarded to the Alaska State Troopers and the FBI for a criminal background check.
Juneau School District
1208 Glacier Ave, Juneau, AK 99801
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $20,209 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 11%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 16.91
% IEP Students
State Average: 14%
State Average: 314