Middle School Sports
Job | Posted 3 months ago
- Has the ability to organize and supervise a total sports program.
- Has previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport. (Major sports)
- Have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and, at the same time, must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
- Serve as an appropriate role model for student athletes through his/her instructions and actions.
REPORTS TO: The School Principal, who provides overall objectives and final evaluation
JOB GOAL: To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the coach must instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable character development, self discipline, self confidence, and pride of accomplishment in the student athletes. To upgrade his/her knowledge and skills through coaching clinics, observations, consultation, etc.
- The success of athletic programs has a strong influence on the community's image of the entire system. The public exposure is a considerable responsibility and community/parent pressure for winning performance is taxing, but must not override the objectives of good sportsmanship and good mental health.
- The position includes other unusual aspect such as extended time, risk injury factor and due process predicaments.
- It is the express intent of this job description to give sufficient guidance to function. In cases not specifically covered, it shall be assumed that a coach shall exercise common sense and good judgment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies approved by the Suffolk Public Schools’ Board of Education and is responsible for their implementation by the team’s staff of the sports program.
- Has knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all requests or grievances through proper channels. Is aware of all public/staff/departmental meetings that require attendance.
- Serves as a mentor to each athlete to promote the development and demonstration in student athletes the character traits of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
- Gives constant attention to a student athlete's grades and conduct.
- By his/her presence at all practices games and while traveling, provides assistance, guidance and safeguards for each participant.
- Provides training rules, schedule, calendar, and any other unique regulations of the sport to each athlete (and their parents) who is considered a participant.
- Follows programs and policies concerning injuries, medical attention and emergencies.
- Directs student managers, assistants and statisticians.
- Determines discipline, delineates procedures concerning due process when the enforcement of discipline is necessary and contracts parents and the School Principal when a student is dropped or becomes ineligible.
Suffolk Public Schools
100 N Main St, Suffolk, VA 23434
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,724 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 9%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 14.22
% IEP Students
State Average: 13%
State Average: 801