Girls Varsity Volleyball Coach
Job | Posted 3 months ago
POSITION: Girls Varsity Volleyball Coach
- Has the ability to organize and supervise a total sports program.
- Has previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport. (Major sports)
- The head coach must have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and, at the same time, must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
- The head coach must serve as an appropriate role model for student athletes through his/her instructions and actions.
REPORTS TO: The athletic director, who provides overall objectives and final evaluation in conjunction with the high school principals
SUPERVISES: In several instances, the head coach must advise, coordinate and support a staff of high school assistant coaches and middle school coaches in conjunction with the athletic director and respective principal.
JOB GOAL: To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the coach must instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable character development, self discipline, self confidence, and pride of accomplishment in the student athletes. To upgrade his/her knowledge and skills through coaching clinics, observations, consultation, etc.
- The success of athletic programs has a strong influence on the community's image of the entire system. The public exposure is a considerable responsibility and community/parent pressure for winning performance is taxing, but must not override the objectives of good sportsmanship and good mental health.
- The position includes other unusual aspect such as extended time, risk injury factor and due process predicaments.
- It is the express intent of this job description to give sufficient guidance to function. In cases not specifically covered, it shall be assumed that a coach shall exercise common sense and good judgment.
- The position is evaluated yearly and upon recommendation, will be renewed for the upcoming school year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies approved by the Suffolk Public Schools’ Board of Education and is responsible for their implementation by the team’s staff of the sports program.
- Has knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command and refers all requests or grievances through proper channels. Is aware of all public/staff/departmental meetings that require attendance.
- Established the fundamental philosophy, skills and techniques to be taught by assistants. Designs conferences, clinics and staff meetings to insure staff awareness of overall program.
- Trains and informs staff, encourages professional growth by encouraging clinic attendance.
- Delegates specific duties, supervises implementation and, at season's end, analyzes staff effectiveness and evaluates all assistants.
- Maintains discipline, adjusts grievances and works to increase morale and cooperation.
- Performs such other duties which may be assigned by the athletic director/principal.
- Assists the athletic director in scheduling, providing transportation and requirements for tournament and special sport events.
- Assists in the necessary preparation to hold scheduled sport events or practices and adheres to scheduled facility times. Coordinates program with maintenance and school employees.
- Provides documentation to fulfill state and system requirements concerning physical examinations, parental consent and eligibility.
- Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of assigned equipment sites.
- Advises the athletic director and recommends policy, method or procedural changes.
- Serves as a mentor to each athlete to promote the development and demonstration in student athletes the character traits of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
- Gives constant attention to a student athlete's grades and conduct.
- By his/her presence at all practices games and while traveling, provides assistance, guidance and safeguards for each participant.
- Provides training rules, schedule, calendar, and any other unique regulations of the sport to each athlete (and their parents) who is considered a participant.
- Follows programs and policies concerning injuries, medical attention and emergencies.
- Directs SPS Trainer to complete paperwork on all disabling athletic injuries on proper forms and submits to athletic office within 24 hours.
- Directs student managers, assistants and statisticians.
- Determines discipline, delineates procedures concerning due process when the enforcement of discipline is necessary and contracts parents and the Athletic Director when a student is dropped or becomes ineligible.
- Assists athletes in their college or advanced educational selection.
- Participates in the budgeting function with the athletic director by establishing requirements for the next season. Recommends equipment guidelines as to type, style, color or technical specifications.
- Is accountable for all equipment and collects the cost of any equipment lost or not returned.
- Arranges for issuing, storing and reconditioning of equipment and submits annual inventory and current records concerning same.
- Properly marks and identifies all equipment before issuing or storing.
- Monitors equipment rooms and coaches' offices, authorizes who may enter, issue or requisition equipment.
- Permits the athletes to only be in authorized areas of the building at the appropriate times.
- Examines locker rooms before and after practices and games, checking on general cleanliness of the facility. Responsible for cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment and facility used.
- Secures all doors, lights, windows and locks before leaving building if custodians are not on duty.
- Instills in each player a respect for equipment and school property, its care and proper use.
- Organizes parents, coaches, players and guests for preseason meetings.
- Promotes the sport within the school through recruiting athletes who are not in another sports program and promotes the sport outside the school through news media, little league programs, or in any other feasible manner.
- Responsible for the quality, effectiveness and validity of any oral or written release to local media.
- Responsible for maintaining good public relations with news media, booster club, parents, officials, volunteers and fans.
- Presents information to news media concerning schedules, tournaments and results.
Suffolk Public Schools
100 N Main St, Suffolk, VA 23434
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,724 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 9%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 14.22
% IEP Students
State Average: 13%
State Average: 801