ABS/ASD K-12 Special Education Teacher
Lester Prairie School is a growing K-12 single building school on the outer edge of the Twin Cities, 30 miles west of Minnetonka and 20 miles east of Hutchinson.
Special Education Teacher - K-12
ABS or ASD License preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide research-based special education services identified on the Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) of students with disabilities
- Provide special education services in a variety of service delivery models
- Comply with all state and federal special education rules and regulations
- Facilitate IEP meetings; schedule and hold IEP meetings within required timelines
- Collaborate with Building Administrator and Special Education Coordinator and IEP members to develop IEPs.
- Complete IEPs and progress notes in a timely manner
- Participate in the special education evaluation process, including complying with all state and federal special education rules and regulations, as assigned
- Supervise the work of assigned paraprofessionals and assist with their performance evaluations (this position does not have authority to hire, terminate or discipline)
- Be knowledgeable in the state standards, skills and content of their assigned curriculum areas of teaching
- Participate in district-provided training related to crisis intervention skills and techniques. Utilize approved verbal de-escalation skills and behavior management techniques during crisis intervention, including physical restraint in an emergency situation as prescribed by district procedures, provided training, and Minnesota statutes.
- Prepares course objectives and outline for course of study following curriculum guidelines and state or national standards; implement and teach the core values established by our school as the focus of instruction and discussion when appropriate
- Uses formative and summative assessment data to inform instruction
- Keeps attendance and grade records as required by school. Utilize our Infinite Campus system and enter grades in a timely fashion
- Analyzes classroom data to inform his or her teaching and small group instruction
- Integrates technology into their teaching and professional activities
- Collaborates with PLC team on curriculum, planning and student needs.
- Creates and works toward ongoing communication with parents in a variety of forms
- Implements school and district policies and procedures
- Collaborates with other professionals/stakeholders working with the student.
- Maintains familiarity with and be prepared to implement current district and building Emergency Procedures.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- This job supervises the work of assigned paraprofessionals but has no formal authority to hire, terminate or discipline staff.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university in education or an equivalent combination of education and experience permitting one to obtain appropriate licensure as a teacher by the Minnesota Department of Education.
- Valid Minnesota Teacher's License appropriate for the particular grades or subject matter assigned.