JobID 6156 : 2020-2021 Teacher, Dual Language (#2023098)
Job | Posted 2 months ago
Days per Year: 187
Masters Degree: Add $1,000
Doctorate Degree: Add $2,000
JOB TITLE: Dual Language Two-Way Immersion Elementary Teacher
REPORTS TO: Principal
WAGE/HOUR STATUS: Exempt
PAY GRADE: Teacher Salary Scale
Under the direction of the campus administrator, the dual language two-way immersion teacher is responsible for providing standards-based, culturally embedded instruction in the elementary classroom which meets district standards and assessments and leads to oral language proficiency and bi-literacy in Spanish and English. The dual language two-way immersion teacher is responsible for implementing the District’s instructional program and educational philosophy in the subject area or grade level designated in accordance with District goals, policies and procedures.
All employees of SISD are expected to act with integrity, support organizational goals, communicate in a clear and respectful manner, championing the needs of our students and drive continuous improvement.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited College or University
- Valid Texas teaching certificate in Bilingual education in grade level assigned
- One year of student teaching or approved internship
- Experience working with students eligible for bilingual and/or dual language immersion programs
- Experience working with students who speak languages other than English (ESL)
- Experience working with students who do not speak Spanish (SSL)
- Ability to fluently speak, read and write in Spanish
- Knowledge of early childhood development and best practices
- Ability to instruct students and manage behavior
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong technology skills including technology integration
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Guide the learning process toward the achievement of Spring ISD (SISD) Dual Language Two- Way Immersion curriculum goals
- Plan lessons for daily instruction that derive from state standards, assessments and SISD Dual Language Two-Way Immersion curriculum in both English and Spanish
- Assist in the development of curriculum for the SISD Dual Language Two- Way Immersion Program.
- Provide educational experiences in the classroom that reflect the philosophy, goals and expectations of the Spring ISD Dual Language Two- Way Immersion Program.
- Conduct instruction effectively and proficiently in Spanish and English.
- Structure activities in the classroom to facilitate oral language production and comprehension in the target language and English.
- Effectively differentiate both content and language learning to ensure that all students
- successfully meet the SISD Dual Language Two- Way Immersion Program assessments and outcomes.
- Assess student progress in a formative manner in oral and written language development,
- literacy and numeracy; adjust instruction according to assessment results.
- Maintain and improve professional competence by participating in opportunities for professional development in the area of Dual Language Two- Way Immersion Programs.
- Advocate for the high academic achievement and social development of all students.
- Collaborate with peers, administrators, and others, including Dual Language Two- Way Immersion Program grade level teachers/teams.
- Work effectively with a wide variety of students in a culturally diverse setting.
- Maintain effective working relationships with parents, students and community.
- Create a classroom environment that engages and supports all students in learning and is
- appropriate to support cultural proficiency.
- Communicate with parents and school counselors on student progress.
- Engage parents and others as resources to enhance student learning.
- Identify student needs, and cooperate with other professional staff members in helping students to improve both cognitive and affective domains.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: physical mobility, standing, prolonged sitting, some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, reaching/repetitive hand motions, and the ability to work with frequent interruptions. May be required to lift or position students with physical disabilities; control behavior through physical restraint; and assist non-ambulatory students. Mental demands: Ability to maintain emotional control under stress; ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations; ability to interpret a variety of data, ability to be effective in both oral and written communication. Must be able to lift at least 50lbs.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Spring Independent School District
16717 ELLA BLVD, HOUSTON, TX 77090-4299
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $10,068 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 17%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.26
% IEP Students
State Average: 9%
State Average: 558