Special Education Teachers (2020-2021 School Year)
Under the direction of an administrator, the teacher's repsonsibility is to guide students toward the fulfillment of their intellectual, physical, and psychological potential.
Attends and participates in staff meetings and serves on staff committees.
Performs other school duties and assignments as appointed.
- Humanizes instruction by planning a program of study that meets the individual needs of students.
- Diagnoses and develops plans for the learning problems of students appropriate to the level of achievement.
- Refers students to specialists when deficiencies are detected or suspected.
- Implements all curriculum programs adopted system wide in a positive and efficient manner.
- Establishes clear objectives for all learning experiences and communicates these objectives to students.
- Emphasizes and enforces safety factors within the classroom, building, and throughout school property.
- Maintains a disciplined atmosphere appropriate to the teaching environment.
- Establishes reasonable classroom rules with consistent enforcement occurring in a positive way.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Actively schedules, organizes and participates in the decision-making process of the IEP team.
- Evaluates whether programs have met student’s needs, in consultation with those involved with the student.
- Adherence to the student’s IEP.
- Knowledge or familiarity of Virginia Alternate Assessment Program and Standards of Learning.
- Performs other school duties and assignments as appointed.