JobID 9529 : Principal (#1994814)
Principal, Platte Valley Youth Services
Platte Valley Youth Services Center (PVYSC) is a 103-bed co-ed secure, multipurpose facility operated by the Colorado Department of Human Services, Division of Youth Corrections (DYC). PVYSC provides detention and secure custody treatment services. The above Judicial Districts encompass 12 counties: Larimer, Jackson, Boulder, Weld, Adams, Morgan, Logan, Sedgwick, Phillips, Washington, Yuma, and Kit Carson. Weld County District 6, provides licensed teaching staff for the facility’s comprehensive school. Youth can generate the credits necessary to receive a diploma, or receive a GED while at PVYSC. Some post-secondary offerings through AIMS Community College are available if they can be subsidized.
PVYSC provides secure detention holding for youth from ages 10 through age 17. Judicial districts rely on detention to assure a safe return to court for youth who are assessed as being likely to flee or are a danger to the community. The facility has counselors, clinical staff and a licensed psychologist. PVYSC provides a wide variety of treatment services grounded in evidenced-based principles and cognitive behavioral interventions including relationship-based and strengths-based services. Services are provided in the areas of individual, family and group therapy, substance abuse treatment, psychological evaluation, medication management, case management, individualized education, restorative justice, life skills education, transitional services, and gender specific (female) programming. The facility also provides services for youth committed on a sexual offense. Committed youth are provided the opportunity to participate in a food service vocational program in accordance with their needs and interests.
Classification: Administrative/ Professional/ Technical
Salary Grade/Level/Family/Range: APT
(Negotiable based on experience) Range: 16 Salary $92,543 to $135,958
Reports to: Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Schools
Contract Length/ Days: (2019-2020/ 260)
Date Posted: January 22, 2020
Deadline for application: Until-Filled (Applicant screening will begin no later than 1/29/2020. Applications are still accepted until the position is filled; however, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible).
Master's degree in Educational Leadership and administration.
Must hold or be eligible to hold a current Colorado administrator's certificate/license.
Three years of principal or district administration experience.
Administration experience in an incarceration facility, teaching in an alternative setting
Bilingual skills preferred
Through the educational program, personnel administration, management and community relations, directs, guides and coordinates the total educational program with the school so as to promote the educational development of each student. Responsible to the Director of Secondary School Leadership.
- Supervises and monitors the school’s instructional program as part of the school’s improvement process.
- Assists in the implementation, revisions, and evaluation of the approved curriculum based on state and district standards.
- Supervises or delegates all professional, paraprofessional, administrative, and non-professional personnel attached to the school.
- Is responsible for the implementation and observance of all board policies and regulations by the school’s staff and students.
- Experience building relationships with students and modeling conflict resolution through restorative justice practice.
- Assumes responsibility for the safety and administration of all the school facilities.
- Delegates authority to responsible personnel to assume responsibility for the school in the absence of the principal.
- Plans and supervises emergency procedures for building.
- Maintains high standards of student conduct and enforces the student code of conduct, as necessary, according to legal due process for students.
- Supervises the preparation of all school reports, annual budget for the district and state office.
- Assists in the in-service orientation and training of teachers, with special responsibility for staff administrative procedures and instructions.
- Conducts meetings of the staff as necessary for the proper functioning of the school.
- Supervises the maintenance of accurate records on the academic achievement and attendance of students from different school districts.
- Maintains appropriate lines of two-way communication within the school community.
- Develops positive relations between school, parents, and community.
- Provides opportunities for parents to interact with staff.
- Markets the district strategic plan.
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
Ability to sit for long periods of time, numerous distractions, visual, auditory and ambulatory acuity important. Occasional lifting of up to 30 pounds. Physical and mental abilities sufficient to perform the essential functions and duties of the position as outlined.
Environmental Demands of Job:
Occasional weather extremes may affect working conditions.
Greeley-Evans School District 6 shall not discriminate in its employment or hiring practices on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, gender identity, marital status or disability. The District shall identify, solicit, and consider applicants for employment from a broad spectrum of qualified individuals who will contribute to that effort. The Superintendent is committed to cultural diversity among district personnel as a means of enriching educational experience. The District shall identify, solicit, and consider applicants for employment from a broad spectrum of qualified individuals who will contribute to that effort.
Apply online www.greeleyschools.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Regular attendance is required for this position.