JobID 197 : Garfield Re-2 Superintendent of Schools (#1989901)
The Board of Education is seeking an experienced school leader whose vision and leadership will engage all stakeholders in working toward meeting district goals. The next superintendent must be able to inspire the district’s students, teachers, staff, parents and residents and have a track record of achievement that demonstrates this ability.
The Board is working with the Colorado Association of School Boards to conduct the search process, which will incorporate community and staff involvement.
The new superintendent is expected to begin duties July 1, 2020. The Board seeks to implement a smooth and seamless transition for the administrative leadership of the district. We appreciate your interest in our schools.
About our Community:
Garfield Re-2 School District is located 180 miles west of Denver, Colorado along the I-70 corridor and serves the Garfield County communities of Rifle, Silt and New Castle. The spectacular natural beauty of the surrounding area makes western Garfield County a haven for outdoor recreation.
Surrounded by fertile agricultural lands, plateaus, and high mountains, the area enjoys a temperate year-round climate. You can mountain bike on the miles of top-notch single and double track trails in our valley, and climb at the world’s premier location for world-class rock climbing at Rifle Mountain Park. World class rainbow trout swimming in our gold medal streams provide the siren call for fisherman year round. From our communities, you can ski world renowned ski resorts of Aspen and Vail just 90 minutes away, and more intimate, family skiing fun available with a 45 minute drive to Sunlight Mountain in Glenwood Springs or Powderhorn Mountain.
Rifle Gap State Park and Harvey Gap State Park are great places to enjoy pristine water as well as extraordinary Rocky Mountain views. Rifle Falls, just north of Rifle, is among the state’s top 99 waterfalls. You can see trophy elk and the world’s largest mule deer herd thriving in the meadows.
Enjoy the rural character and a taste of the Old West while boldly embracing the future. Western Garfield County is bustling with the Ute Theater in Rifle providing live music and comedy, and quality community festivals including Western Adventure Weekend, Hometown Holidays, Silt Hey Days, New Castle’s Burning Mountain Days and the Garfield County Fair.
Our communities of Rifle, Silt and New Castle are expanding their opportunities with a new municipal pool under construction in Rifle, a new long-term care facility and hospital expansion at Grand River Health, new senior housing facility, mountain bike trail construction and several new resturants across our district. Garfield Re-2 develops rich relationships with community organizations including the municipalities of Rifle, Silt and New Castle, Colorado Mountain College and the Grand River Health, a 600 employee, 45-physician hospital district that continues to expand services across its 1,500 square mile service area.
About our District:
Within our three communities, we have 10 schools - six Pre-K - 5 elementary, two 6 - 8 middle and two 9 - 12 high schools with over 4,800 students.
- Garfield Re-2 is a 4-day school week district;
- The Re-2 School Board has developed five District goals and a four-year roadmap to guide them in their work through 2019-20;
- The taxpayers in Garfield Re-2 in November 2018 supported our teachers and staff with a $4.9 million mill levy override to be used for competitive salary schedules;
- Garfield Re-2 has a competitive benefits package that contains some options unique in Garfield County;
- Garfield Re-2 is 44% Free and Reduced Lunch and 50% Latino, 26.4% ELL, 4% GT, 10% SPED;
- Garfield Re-2 has a robust induction program to support new teachers and teachers “new to Re-2”;
- Garfield Re-2 is focused on the Colorado Department of Education Teaching and Learning Cycle and has couched it into a model called WHHW;
- Garfield Re-2 has a National Blue Ribbon School (Elk Creek), four Governor Award winning schools (Elk Creek, Graham Mesa, Cactus Valley and Highland);
- Garfield Re-2’s high schools have a combined graduation rate of 90%, above the state average of 80% and offer IB, AP and dual enrollment opportunities;
- Garfield Re-2 has expanded our pre-school opportunities with several new sections this year;
- Garfield Re-2 utilizes instructional technology coaches to support teachers in their use of technology and boasts a nearly one-to-one device/student ratio;
- Each of our 10 schools has academic coach support to work with teachers and principals to improve research-based instructional practices;
- Garfield Re-2 boasts great choir, band and art programs and we have been able to maintain art, music and PE in our schools despite budgeting challenges;
- Garfield Re-2 partners with Colorado Mountain College in grooming our future educators, and helping our students be college and career ready and develop trade skills.
Director of Communication
Phone: (970) 665-7621
District Website: www.garfieldre2.net
Total District Employees:
Current Student Enrollment: 4,802
Number of Licensed Teachers: 351
Number of Classified Staff: 393
Number of Administrators (Principals, Asst. Principals & Directors: 32)
A five-member Board of Education governs the district and holds regular meetings.
2019 Assessed Valuation: $780,455,110
Per Pupil Expenditure: $9,453
General Fund Budget Year FY2019-20: $65,124,574
Capital Reserve Fund Budget Year FY2019-20: $2,505,932
Pupil Activity Fund Budget Year FY2019-20: $1,115,596.00
Total Appropriation Budget Year FY2019-20: $90,553,279
Superintendent Salary: $155K-$175K with a competitive benefits package
SUPERINTENDENT EXPERIENCE REQUIRED? Preferred
DOCTORATE REQUIRED? No
- Willingness to embrace the cultural diversity within the district and the challenges facing rural school districts, and work to unite all communities towards our common goal.
- An advocate for the district, it’s students, employees, and community, at the local, regional, and state level.
- Strong understanding of Colorado’s education system requirements.
- Strong understanding of curriculum with innovative ideas to expand STEM and experiential learning programs at all levels K-12.
- Individual who places high value on vocational education and recognizes the role it plays in the work environment.
- Individual who will make the tough decisions with consistency and thoroughness and demonstrates integrity, honesty and ethical behavior.
- Budget experience with financial accounting background or knowledge.
- Administrative experience required: strong leadership with a proven track record and must hold or be able to obtain an administrative license.
- An individual who encourages a proactive rather than reactive environment.
- A teambuilder.
- Willingness to live in the community.
The District shall not discriminate in its employment or hiring practices on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation (which includes transgender), religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, marital status, disability, conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
For more information regarding this position, please click here.