JobID 16056 : Principal on Special Assignment - Division of Equity in Learning (#1987002)
Job | Posted 23 days ago
Principal on Special Assignment—Division of Equity in Learning
A Principal on Special Assignment role allows a current Aurora Public Schools (APS) Principal or Assistant Principal to take on a short-term, 1-2-year assignment with APS that simultaneously 1) supports the district in infusing district operations with the knowledge and experiences of school leaders to better align district supports to meet school needs and 2) provides opportunities for Principals to enhance their skills and competencies to lead at a systems level, across multiple schools. The Principal on Special Assignment role will take on special projects and assignments that help advance the achievement of APS 2020 goals and district's ongoing systems and capacity building. The specific special projects and assignments will be determined on an annual basis.
Under the direction of the Chief Academic Officer (CAO), the Principal on Special Assignment (POSA) for Equity in Learning will bring expertise as a school leader to oversee special project(s) related to advancing APS' academic strategy and support for schools.
The specifics of the special project(s) and expected deliverables or outcome will be developed in collaboration with the CAO to best meet the needs of the district, help advance APS' academic strategy, and strengthen support for schools. Special Projects may include strengthening support and professional learning for new principals, developing a strategy to support aspiring to school leadership with the necessary leadership competencies to be successful in their role, etc.
Duration: 2 years, Subject to annual contract renewal
Click here to visit our interactive map where you can find out more information on each individual school, such as highlights, school data, demographics and more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
90% Special Projects
The specific duties and responsibilities of the role will be dependent on the specifics of the special project and expected outcomes or deliverables. The responsibilities for these special projects may include:
- Analyzing and evaluating district data, programming, supports, and strategies related programming to identify strengths, opportunities, and gaps
- Identifying opportunities to enhance existing work or implement new strategies, programs, or supports aligned to district strategic plan and other key initiatives (CORE reform framework, Human Capital Strategy)
- Identify, developing, and providing professional learning related to the special project
- Researching local and national best practices related to special project and evaluate potential applicability to APS context and community
- Developing and giving briefings and/or presentations for CAO and Leadership team on special project(s)
- Making recommendations to the CAO and Leadership Team for how to advance work related to special project(s)
- Refining and/or developing new strategy and/or programs, including goals, metrics of success, implementation plans, etc.
- Piloting recommendations to advancing special projects
- Collaborating with appropriate divisions and teams to support analysis and recommendations around special project
- Collaborate with potential partners external to APS to support new strategy or implementation
10% Other Duties as Assigned
- Perform other duties as assigned, including availability to substitute or temporarily lead a building while the current school leader is away (i.e., attending professional learning or conferences, etc.)
Education and Training: Master's degree in Education Administration, Curriculum Leadership or other related field.
- Current APS Principal or Assistant Principal
- At least 5 years of leadership experience
Skills, Knowledge, Equipment & Other: Advanced written, verbal, analytical and listening skills. Excellent organization skills. Advanced knowledge of APS school and district policies, procedures, and management. Experience coaching and developing leadership capacity. Deep understanding of curricular and instructional needs of schools and best practices around curriculum implementation. Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects. Operating knowledge of and experience with personal computers, standard office equipment, and Microsoft Office products.
Certificates, Licenses & Registrations: Colorado Principal's License.
Aurora Public Schools
15701 E. 1ST AVE. SUITE 206, AURORA, CO 80011-9038
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $10,278 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 12%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 17.36
% IEP Students
State Average: 11%
State Average: 415