JobID 4211 : HEAD CUSTODIAN - Internal Posting Custodial Bargaining Unit Members Only (#1985095)
Providing custodial services, ensuring an attractive, sanitary and safe environment for students, staff and visitors; overseeing the preparation of facilities for classroom activities events; overseeing and supporting assigned custodians in the performance of their assignments; and ensuring that assignments are completed in a safe, proper and timely manner.
- Directs and participates in cleaning facilities and/or grounds (e.g. classrooms, offices, gym, restrooms, cafeteria, multipurpose rooms, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
- Performs minor, job related, maintenance on custodial equipment, classroom furniture and fixtures (e.g. change vacuum cleaner belts, bags, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring proper functioning and usability of items.
- Directs and participates in summer maintenance (e.g. strip/wax floors, moves furniture, painting, etc.) for the purpose of completing and/or facilitating summer construction.
- Prepares site for daily operations (e.g. opening gates, raising flags, sweeping walkway, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring facilities are operational and hazard free.
- Replenishes classroom and rest room supplies (e.g. paper towels, soap, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring adequate quantities for daily use.
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, vandalism, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action or notifying appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Directs and participates in seasonal grounds work (i.e. snow removal)
- Keeps inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment; requisition as needed
- Performs work at heights of up to 12 feet using ladders and/or scaffolding for the purpose of cleaning, changing light bulbs, replacing ceiling tiles, etc.
- Daily attendance and punctuality are required for the purpose of ensuring the goals of the work unit can be met.
- Secures facilities and grounds (e.g. doors, gates, alarms, lights, etc.) for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss and/or potential liability.
- Supports District maintenance staff (e.g. grounds, trades, general maintenance, etc.) for the purpose of completing site custodial activities.
- Meets daily with Building Principal to review activities for the day
- Maintains accurate and timely accounts of attendance of the staff
- Attends in-service training (e.g., instruction on blood-borne pathogens, cleaning solvents, floor care, first aid, etc.) for the purpose of receiving information on new and/or improved procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of standard cleaning procedures, chemicals, products and equipment
- Knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System
- Ability to read and understand labels and instructions, particularly on the use and application of cleaning chemicals and products
- Ability to work with little or no supervision.
- Team building Skills
- Decision making skills
- Problem solving skills
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Time management skills
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Five years of experience in commercial cleaning/building maintenance
- Two years of supervisory experience; one year of college may be substituted for one year of supervision
- Ability to utilize a computer for basic Microsoft applications, email and work order system
- Ability to keep record of timesheets, work orders, etc.
- Ability to operate custodial machinery, climb scaffolding and ladders, lift/push/pull loads in excess of 50 lbs. and perform general custodial tasks that require reasonable strength and agility
The Custodial is a physically demanding position. The incumbent must spend the entire time at work standing, walking, lifting heavy objects, operating medium weight cleaning equipment such
as floor buffers, sweeping and mopping floors and moving desks and furniture. The incumbent isrequired to do a great deal of stretching and bending, often in awkward positions. Operating floor
polishers and waxers are particularly hard on back muscles.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds such as cleaning supplies, pails and unloading trucks. Occasionally the employee will lift and/or move up to 100 pounds such as salt and bulk furniture. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Monday through Friday
Hours: 7:00a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Hours of work may be adjusted to meet the needs of the district.
Grade 3 Custodian pay based on Union Contract
Please go on-line at www.danbury.k12.ct.us job listings