JobID 1035 : Special Education ARI ParaProfessional Special Services (#1984980)
Special Education Teacher Assistant
School Principal and Teacher
Receives Guidance From:
Special Education Director
Overtime Status: Exempt
- Support and supplement the instructional program of the classroom teacher. Provide assistance in the instruction of basic skills, and to assure each student the opportunity to take advantage of all available resources in the classroom. Provide a well-organized, smooth functioning class environment with assistance in the instruction of basic skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform job duties assigned by the supervising teacher (direct instruction/ feeding/ toileting/ lifting).
Must currently hold or be able to obtain/pass certification requirements (Commercial Drivers License) for driving a bus for community based learning outings.
Assist in the implementation of IEP objectives for students, data collection, and guide small student groups as directed by supervising teacher.
Actively supervise students at all times.
Communication with parents (both written and oral) is the sole responsibility of the teacher.
Maintain confidentiality of all in-school and out-of-school conversations, documents, etc. relative to personally identifiable information on any student.
Lunchtime duties are determined on a year-to-year basis centered around the students and will most often be in the location of the cafeteria.
Participate in professional development when appropriate. The supervising teacher will communicate with Special Education district personnel in regard to appropriateness of professional development.
Adhere to the RCSD Board policy regarding the use of cell phones (Board Policy GBEB point 25). The use of other electronic devices such as radios, television, DVDs/VCRS are to only be used when appropriate for classroom instruction on a limited basis
Bus duty or other assignments before and/or after school as assigned.
Heavy lifting as needed to help with student mobility.
All job duties are to be directly related to students in the Special Education classroom unless stated otherwise in employee’s contract.
Assume any other duties as assigned.
Assume responsibility for own professional growth and development, for keeping current with the literature, new research findings, for attending appropriate professional meetings and conferences, and to maintain any credits and/or continued education for maintenance of licensure required for position.
Adhere to all Rankin County School District policies, school site policies, and the Mississippi Educator Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct.
Maintains and accepts responsibility for any district owned fixed asset item assigned to employee and ensures appropriate use by following district policies for acceptable use
Undergoes periodic evaluations according to state and board policy procedures.
Regular, dependable attendance is an essential function of this position.
Performs such other and not specifically enumerated duties as may be requested by the Board of Education, superintendent, administrator, director or established by district policy.
Associates degree from an accredited college or university.
Forty-eight (48) college hours from an accredited college or university
Workkeys Test in Reading, Business Writing, and Math with a passing score
Other Requirements: Must hold or obtain a Commercial Drivers License
Terms of Employment:
- 187 days
- Salary and work year as established by the Rankin County Board of Education
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms using a keyboard and video display terminal. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 35 pounds and occasionally up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is not a standard office setting; but rather encompasses the entire active school campus both inside and outside the facilities. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate and occasionally high.
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. The job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems advisable.
- Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Rankin County School Board policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel