JobID 303 : Instructional Assistant - Full Time Adaptive Life Skills (#1984789)
The Adaptive Life Skills program at South Coast ESD is currently looking for Instructional Assistants who are ready to make a difference in the lives of others and help students on the south coast. Instructional Assistants will help the teacher with the implementing and following of instruction, assist students with tasks throughout the school, and support the teacher in preparing the classroom setting. A well-qualified applicant will have a passion for working with kids and enjoy being part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Carries out instructional programs as directed by teacher.
- Helps implement behavior programs.
- Assists in training of student assistants.
- Assists students with toileting, hygiene, and feeding, encouraging independence or partial participation, while incorporating safe practices.
- Assists disabled students during regular classroom and/or community activities.
- Works with students on eating and dressing skills.
- Stimulates language through receptive and expressive language programs, total communication, and augmentative communication strategies.
- Must like to work with children.
- Ability to handle unpleasant situations.
- Holds a current first aid card and CPR card.
- Holds a valid driver’s license, automobile insurance and provides own transportation.
- Ability to work with staff, students and the public in an effective manner, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Must respect confidential information.
- A fingerprint-based criminal history investigation will be required.
High school diploma or equivalent.
The employee may work in regular or special education settings and/or in community settings with students in small or large groups or 1-on-1.
May be required to travel on the job.
The employee needs to be competent in conflict resolution.
The employee needs to be able to determine which decisions are within the scope of the assistant’s position and which should be referred to a licensed staff member. Problems may arise which require immediate attention setting up conflicting priorities. Sound judgment is required to effectively prioritize these demands, and to deal appropriately with student’s needs.
Supervision and instructional responsibilities require the employee to be able to stand up to 30 consecutive minutes and to move rapidly to intervene in situations where a student’s safety is being jeopardized. Outdoor supervision may be required during inclement weather.
The employee must be able to lift materials, boxes or equipment weighing up to 30 pounds. The employee may need to participate with others in lifting/moving equipment weighing up to 40 pounds. The employee needs to be able to participate with one other employee in lifting students weighing up to 120 pounds, if the student’s protocol permits. All lifting and transferring of students should be done in accordance with approved protocols.
The employee may come into contact with biohazards such as human waste, saliva and blood, and should take appropriate protective precautions. The employee may be required to provide intimate hygiene care to students, and may be required to accompany the student into restrooms and locker rooms.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Salary: $13.33 /hour
First consideration for this position will be given to members for the OSEA #119 bargaining association.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability or disabilities.
South Coast ESD is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal and state statutes which prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, handicap or marital status.