Elementary Special Education Teacher (for students with Autism)
Giant Steps day school, located in Lisle, IL, has an opening for an energetic teacher in one of their Elementary classrooms. Qualities of a successful candidate include having an LBS1 certification with the ability to teach elementary-aged students. Giant Steps is a values driven organization that offers all teachers a variety of supports including one-to-one mentoring, collaboration with a multidisciplinary team, and the ability to make classroom based decisions.
This position is full-time and offers a competitive salary. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, matching 401k, and paid time off. Giant Steps prides itself on being proactive and student-centered, while also recognizing the importance of empowering and supporting staff.
Salary: Starting at $46,000
This position is responsible for leading a student-centered team to optimize student learning and growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements the individualized program established for each student in his/her Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Through use of approved curriculum, provides instruction in specific skill areas to a diverse student population
- Prepares appropriate supplemental instructional materials and experiences which will enhance learning opportunities for all students
- Assesses student learning
- Utilizes a variety of teaching techniques/modalities
- Engages students in the learning process
- Adheres to company policies and procedures
- Completes any other essential duties that may be assigned
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to effectively interpret and communicate assessment results, evaluations, and proposed treatment in a manner easily understood by team members, the district, and parents
- Knowledge of autism spectrum disorders
- Ability to treat students with autism spectrum disorders
- Familiarity with relevant diagnostic tools and procedures
- Ability to maintain quality, safety, and infection control standards
- Knowledge of the use and maintenance of facilities and equipment
- Knowledge of sensory and behavioral strategies
- Knowledge of child development theory
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements
- Ability to use computers (word processing software, therapeutic/educational software)
- Strong written and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in in education, Special Education Certification (LBS1, Emergency certification from ISBE, Provisional certification from ISBE)
Conditions of Employment
- Pre-employment physical, drug screening, and criminal background check
- Possesses appropriate professional credentials
- Passing PCM training is a requirement of this position. Participation in PCM training and adherence to the Professional Crisis Management Association's guidelines require at least average physical fitness. Any physical limitations or conditions that may impact one's ability to participate in PCM training or PCM must be made known to Giant Steps upon application, as performance of various physical tasks is a bona fide occupational requirement of this position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is typically performed indoors within the school facility
- Moderate physical movement is required for the job
- Moderate exposure to physical risk is anticipated
- The noise level in this work environment varies from quiet to very loud.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continually required to stand, walk, sit, run, squat, kneel, crawl, climb, balance, crouch, talk, hear, smell, and see. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50+ pounds.