JobID 304 : Social Worker, Handle with Care (Immediate Opening) (#1935798)
SCHOOL SOCIAL WORKER,
(HANDLE WITH CARE SOCIAL WORKER)
Opening: November 22, 2019
Closing: Until Filled
Reports To: Director, Student Support Services
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Dept./School: Student Support Services
Pay Grade: Administrative Program JG 4
Terms of Employment:
11 months/210 days per year. Salary is on Administrative Programs Job Group 4 on the SAISD Compensation Plan on an At-Will agreement. Entry level is at an annual rate of $56,305.20 with additional consideration for directly related experience. This position is grant funded. Annual employment is contingent upon the availability of funds.
To provide direct social services to students and their families on a referral basis. The Handle with Care Social Worker will support the emotional well-being of students and families by providing appropriate social and community-based services, thus increasing student attendance and academic readiness.
- Master’s degree in social work
- Valid licensure as a Licensed Master Social worker by the Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiner
- Candidate must have satisfactory outcome of fingerprinting background check. Non-refundable fee (approximately $50.00) paid by the applicant
- Hold a valid Texas driver’s license and a good driving record
- Meet and maintain liability insurance coverage
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form
- Knowledge of state and federal mandates, as they apply to homelessness, foster care, migrant, Child Find and other special populations
- Knowledge of various handicapping conditions, as they impact eligibility and need for special education
- Familiarity with community agencies, the services they offer, and the criteria for eligibility
- Ability to collaborate with school administration and school counseling programs
- Know and adhere to applicable laws and regulations governing confidential and ethical standards
- Familiarity with Academic, Behavioral & Social Emotional programming within a multi-tiered system of support
- Two (2) years post MSW experience in a social work setting in the public school and/or community agency.
- Respond to Handle with Care referrals by providing individual, family and/or group consultation/coordination
- Conduct comprehensive family assessments with parental support for students referred for services
- Facilitate wrap around social emotional support, case management and/or mental health services.
- Provide crisis intervention for students and their families
- Conducts home visits and/or visits to community agencies
- Provide necessary community-based referrals and follow up
- Assist in the development of parent support groups and parental involvement groups
- Conduct assessments to determine eligibility for students who are experience homelessness, in foster care, pregnant and/or parenting, Child Find and migrant.
- Work with district specialized staff supporting subpopulations to ensure appropriate services/referrals
- Knowledge base on various federal laws to include:
- McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act
- Title 1 regulations for homelessness and foster care
- Family Education Rights Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Make appropriate in-district referrals to ensure appropriate coding and servicing of students
- Consult with campus administrators, counselors, teachers and staff, regarding students’ needs
- Ensure accountability of data related to student services for grant compliance
- Participate in social worker meetings to ensure up-to-date knowledge base of subpopulations, mental health, social emotional issues and data accountability
- Adhere to applicable laws and regulations governing confidentiality and ethical standards based on the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
- Daily attendance and punctuality at work are essential functions of the job
- Demonstrate the following core values: integrity, high expectations, commitment, respect, dedication to teamwork and passion for a student-centered environment
Computer, computer software programs and peripherals, copier, fax and other equipment applicable to position.
Mental and Physical Demands:
Maintain emotional control under stress; work with frequent interruptions and deadlines; frequent walking, standing, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing; occasional lifting and carrying 20-100 pounds; lifting and carrying 25-40 pounds with assistance; frequent lifting and carrying up to 45 pounds with assistance; pushing/pulling 10-40 pounds sporadically; assisting non-ambulatory students; frequent driving within district. Good hearing, color discrimination and depth perception are necessary. Works near others.
Frequent exposure to temperature extremes (hot and cold), humidity extremes, noise, low or intense illumination, vibration. Occasional exposure to biological hazards (communicable diseases, bacteria, insects, mold, fungi, etc.)
It is the policy of San Antonio ISD not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation or disability in its vocational programs, services or activities as required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and SAISD's board policies DIA, FFH, and FFI.