JobID 776 : Full-Time Evening Custodian (#1837845)
Posted 6 days ago
Selected by: Board of School Trustees by Recommendation of the Superintendent and School Principal
Evaluated by: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of Professional Personnel.
Reports to: Building Principal and Head Custodian
Employment: Part-time and Full-time positions to be established by the Board.
SUMMARY: To provide students with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean, and efficient place in which to learn, play and develop.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keeps building and premises, including sidewalks, driveways, and play areas, neat and clean at all times.
- Regulates heat, ventilation, and air condition systems to provide temperatures appropriate to the season and to ensure economical usage of fuel, water, and electricity.
- Shovels, plows, and sands walks, driveways, parking areas, and steps, as appropriate.
- Checks daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during the hours of building occupancy.
- Raises the U.S. flag at or before 8 a.m. on each school day, and lowers it at or after 3:30 p.m.
- Sweeps classrooms daily and dusts furniture.
- Cleans corridors after school each day, and during the day when their condition requires it.
- Scrubs, hoses down, and disinfects toilet floors daily, and cleans all sanitary fixtures and drinking fountains daily.
- Washes all windows on both the inside and outside at least twice each year, and more frequently if needed.
- Keeps the grounds free from rubbish.
- Performs such yard keeping chores as grass cutting and tree trimming as necessary, to maintain the school grounds in a safe and attractive condition as directed.
- Keeps all floors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good taste of preservation.
- Makes minor building repairs.
- Reports major repairs needed promptly to the Head Custodian.
- Cleans all wallboards at least once a week.
- Maintains on a regular schedule all motors and other mechanical equipment requiring scheduled servicing.
- Reports immediately to the Head Custodian any damage to school property.
- Remains on the school premises during school hours, and during non-school hours when the use of the building has been authorized and extended work hours have been approved.
- Assumes responsibility for the opening and closing of the building each school day and for determining, before leaving, that all doors and windows are secured, and all lights, except those left on for safety reasons, are turned off.
- Keeps and inventory of supplies, equipment, and fuel on hand, and requisitions such needed replacements from the principal far enough in advance so that they may be delivered in such time as will not hinder the custodian's work.
- Conducts an ongoing program of general maintenance, upkeep, and repair.
- Moves furniture or equipment within buildings as required for various activities and as directed by the principal.
- Complies with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash, rubbish, and waste.
- Assumes responsibility for the safe condition of the swimming pool, if the building has one, making all necessary water tests, backwashing of the filters, and refilling the pool as necessary.
- Conducts periodic inspections and test of all electrical installations in the school to ensure their safe condition.
- All other duties as assigned.
Able to lift and perform other physical duties as required
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED diploma
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, correspondences, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
Ability to apply general mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, peers, parents and community, and ability to speak clearly and concisely in written or oral communication.