JobID 10652 : FMLA and Leave of Absence Specialist (#1837764)
Olathe Public Schools
POSITION TITLE: FMLA and Leave of Absence Specialist
DEPARTMENT/LOCATION: Human Resources/Education Center
STATUS: Classified – Non-Exempt, Full-Time
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for the administration and processing of all FMLA and leaves or absence requests for district staff. This position is expected to have knowledge of FMLA and ADA laws and obtain a complete understanding of district leave policies. The incumbent for this position is required to be responsive, detailed and have timely and accurate follow through. This position serves as the resource for employees on medical and non-medical leaves and other benefit-related inquiries. This position works closely with the Benefits Specialist. Senior Retirement Specialist/KPERs DA and Payroll.
This position is part of the Total Rewards and HR Operations team within the Human Resources Department and reports to the Director of Total Rewards and HR Operations.
- Serve as one of the subject matter experts on FMLA regulations and district leave of absence (LOA) policies and processes.
- Effectively and timely administer a variety of leave benefit programs such as Family Medical Leave (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities (ADA), and internal district short term leaves (personal, grandparent, bereavement, etc.) in accordance with company policy and applicable law.
- Serve as a point-of-contact for team members, district staff and management regarding FMLA and LOA issues, policies, and related processes. Identify and resolve issues in conjunction with company policies, precedents, and applicable laws.
- Consults with and advises participants at all levels on eligibility, provisions and other matters related to leave programs and benefits.
- Respond to inquiries from managers/supervisors and employees on leave policies in a clear and concise manner. Translate complex information into easily understood terms.
- Provide timely, courteous and accurate support in resolution of questions. Provide consistent privacy and confidentiality on all leave situations.
- Determine the appropriate status of leave under FMLA regulations taking into consideration regulatory requirements, company-specific requirements, and analysis of documentation received (medical, legal, etc.).
- Draft and send letters to employees with approval or denial regarding leave of absence requests.
- Determine eligibility and availability of leave time for each employee requesting FMLA or LOA leave. Working with payroll and timekeeping, monitor the amount of paid time off in conjunction with leave policies.
- Maintain FMLA and LOA records with a high degree of accuracy. Ensure all new claims, updates and closed claims are tracked, documented and updated in a timely manner.
- Assists in the development and ongoing maintenance of processes and procedures to improve upon the overall operational effectiveness and efficiency of the leave function.
- Ensures company compliance with federal and state laws by monitoring for changes and updates.
- Communicate medical or absence information with other benefit vendors, as needed.
- Process all Short Term Disability requests, coordinating with the KPERs Designated Agent in submitting Long Term Disability notifications.
- Ensure that outside vendors comply with the terms of the disability plans and that disability claims paperwork is filed in a timely manner.
- Assists with annual open enrollment to ensure all those on leave have the opportunity to enroll.
- Assists benefits team in the preparation of employee benefit communication materials. May communicate to groups regarding benefit provisions and changes to benefits as applicable.
- Report on key LOA metrics and provide reporting and analytics as requested by management.
- Assist with training district management to ensure accuracy and compliance with all leave laws.
- Contribute to the daily operations of the benefits department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field
- 2-4 years of experience working in benefits administration with a minimum of two years leave of absence related experience
- Combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities to perform assigned duties and responsibilities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) required
- Bi-lingual (Spanish), preferred
- Proven experience in handling sensitive and confidential information
- Understanding of STD processes and insurance industry preferred
- Knowledge of Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAAA), Workers Compensation, and state laws to determine appropriate decisions for leave cases.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: (Adjust to Position Requirements)
- Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer relationship focus
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to organize and effectively prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- High degree of motivation, responsibility and confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability in compiling, organizing, and analyzing data
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a fast-paced work environment
- Highly collaborative team player
- Ability to self-initiate areas of opportunity, make recommendations for improvement, and follow up as necessary to achieve desired results
Normal office setting with work requiring typing, filing, use of telephone and sitting for prolonged periods of time. Stretching, bending, reaching, pushing and pulling are required a moderate amount of the time. May lift and carry up to 20 pounds on an occasional basis. Some standing and walking is required. Must speak and understand English fluently. Must demonstrate the ability to communicate and concentrate effectively. Good hearing is required for related communications.
IMPORTANT EMPLOYMENT STATEMENTS
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. This document describes the position currently available. The District reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
The Olathe Public Schools prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity in its programs, activities or employment as required by applicable federal and state laws.
DATE AVAILABLE: October 8, 2019
HOURS OF WORK: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, with occasional required overtime
CLEARANCES REQUIRED: (All Apply)
Criminal Justice Fingerprint
X Background Clearance
X TB Test