JobID 7969 : Certified Bilingual/ESL Teacher (Spanish) (#1837503)
POSITION TITLE: Certified Bilingual Teachers (Spanish) Anticipated
Academy of Aerospace and Engineering Elementary
To guide English Learners toward gaining knowledge and skills in order to increase English proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing. The teacher will provide individual student and small group instruction in English and Spanish, support core content area teachers, identify EL / Bilingual students, monitor student progress and administer federal assessments as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screens Home Language Surveys
- Assists in identifying students in need of EL/Bilingual
- Conducts assessment of eligibility in the EL/Bilingual program.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity, interest, and abilities of students, and provides both social and emotional support for English Learners.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of established District curriculum goals, establishes and communicates clear objectives to the students for all lessons, units and projects.
- Utilizes native language support in order to make the curriculum accessible to English Learners.
- Creates lessons and lesson plans that are appropriate and consistent with the Connecticut English Language Proficiency Standards.
- Acts as a liaison between the student and other teachers, staff members and families.
- Administers federal standardized assessment (LAS Links), as necessary.
- Assist in implementation of primary curriculum by providing individual and group instruction to students.
- Provides guidance and professional development to teachers on strategies to support English Learners.
- State of CT Bilingual Certification requirements with proficiency in Spanish or (009) CT Certification
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Familiar with the Common Core State Standards.
- Outstanding personal/interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to keep concise records.
- Sensitivity to the developmental stages of children.