JobID 5214 : Special Education Paraprofessional ~ Generalist (Part-Time) (#1831873)
DESCRIPTION: Provide support for students with moderate disabilities in special and general education classes, including modifications of materials, consultation with teachers, and direct instruction. Collect data and maintain student records, supervise students during, before, and after school for safety; and assist with transportation.
SALARY: Classified Grade G, $14.60 - $16.78 per hour to start, depending on relevant experience. 5.0 hours per day, Tuesday through Friday on the 9-month work schedule. Position is not eligible for benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct instruction and/or academic support and supervision for students with disabilities in accordance with their Individualized Education Plan (IEP) while in general education and special education classrooms.
- Modify academic materials under direction from the general and/or Special Education teachers and assist with the delivery of instruction.
- Identify and facilitate peer relationships and natural supports (assessments).
- Follow through with prescribed behavior intervention plans throughout the school and community and during extra-curricular activities, including monitoring of the playground, or other school areas to ensure safety and security of students.
- Maintain required forms and records as requested by the Special Education Teacher and/or Related Services Providers.
- De-escalate students as needed using approved CPI measures, as well as following the prescribed Behavior Intervention Plan.
- Consult with general education teachers regarding best practice in special education.
- Assist students on occasion, as directed by Special Education Teacher, with special needs including, toileting, eating, positioning and alternative communication.
- Communicate observations, concerns, activities, and progress with the Special Education Teacher and other Therapist or Specialists.
- Assist both Special Education and General Education teachers with minor clerical duties are needed
- Attend trainings as required by Building Principal, Special Education Teacher and/or Director of Special Education.
- Attend student staffings as requested by Special Education Teacher and/or Related Services Providers.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as Behavior Plans, IEPs, staff and student handbooks.
- Ability to collect data, write routine reports and simple correspondences.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from general or special education teachers and related services providers.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) preferred.
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred, but not required for this position.
- Experience working with students with disabilities preferred but not required.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Must be able to pass a post offer, pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to pass a Colorado and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check.
All future correspondence regarding this position will be handled via the email address that you provide on your online application. Please regularly check both your In-Box and SPAM folder for these email messages.