JobID 1255 : Guidance Counselor - Interim (#1829112)
Job | Posted 14 days ago
The job of School Counselor was established for the purpose/s of providing support to the instructional process with specific responsibility for managing the placement of assigned students; providing information and recommendations to parents and students; and assisting in the development of goals and plans for achievement.
• Coordinates with teachers, administrators, resource specialists and/or community (e.g. service clubs, courts, child protective services, etc.) for the purpose of providing/receiving requested information and/or making recommendations.
• Counsels students, parents, and guardians for the purpose of enhancing student success, academically, socially, and emotionally, in school.
• Develops a variety of special programs and classes (e.g. group and teamwork, leadership, bullying, coping with divorce or death, social skills) for the purpose of providing information to assist students in the successful transition from high school to college or help with life and academic skills.
• Monitors students' progress for the purpose of identifying issues and taking appropriate action for increasing student success.
• Prepares a wide variety of materials (e.g. lesson plans, quantity reports, student activities, correspondence, audits, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying information.
• Presents information for the purpose of communicating information, gaining feedback and ensuring adherence to established internal controls.
• Schedules student classes on a variety of topics for the purpose of helping students academically, socially and emotionally reach success in school.
• Supervises assigned programs (e.g. scholarships, peer counseling, special education, ESL, etc.) for the purpose of monitoring performance, providing for professional growth and achieving overall curriculum objectives.
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to periodically upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: applying assessment instruments; preparing and maintaining accurate records; planning and managing projects; and using pertinent software applications.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; review and interpret highly technical information, write technical materials, and/or speak persuasively to implement desired actions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions.
Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: stages of child development.
ABILITY is required to schedule a significant number of activities, meetings, and/or events; often gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing a variety of complex processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with a variety of data; and utilize specific, job-related equipment.
Independent problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires analysis based on organizational objectives; and problem solving with equipment is limited. Specific ability-based competencies required to
satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting priorities; working as part of a team; and working with frequent interruptions.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision using standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of resources from other work units may be required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and some fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 75% sitting, 15% walking, and 10% standing. The job is performed under conditions with exposure to risk of injury and/or illness and in varying atmospheric conditions.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office and school building environments.
- [TN] State Certification as a Guidance Counselor:
- [TN] Endorsement Code:
School Counselor PreK-12
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Bradley County School District
800 South Lee HWY, Cleveland, TN 37311
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $9,312 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 4%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.06
% IEP Students
State Average: 13%
State Average: 874