JobID 712 : Math Teacher-8th Grade (#1806281)
Math Teacher - Elementary
Sterling Middle School
4-Day school week
Full-time w/benefits; must hold current, valid license through Colorado Department of Education with appropriate endorsement(s)
JOB GOAL: To help each student develop competence in basic mathematical skills and an understanding of the structure of mathematics; to motivate each student to apply mathematical understanding and skills in the solution of practical problems; to encourage students to develop their special talents in the field of mathematics.
1. Teach courses in mathematics using as guidelines the course of study adopted by the Board of Education and appropriate curriculum publications.
2. Instruct students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Develop lesson plans appropriate to instructional process and the level of learning needs of students.
4. Demonstrate mathematical concepts using models, chalk board, overhead projector and other standard or teacher-prepared instructional aids.
5. Provide opportunities when needed for individualized and small group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of the student.
6. Design learning activities that will relate mathematics to the physical world.
7. Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
8. Evaluate each student's progress in mathematical knowledge and skills.
9. Select and requisition books, instructional aids and instructional supplies and maintain required inventory records.
10. Communicate with parents to interpret methods in teaching mathematics and with parents and school counselors to discuss the individual student's progress.
11. Identify student needs and cooperate with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude and learning problems.
12. Supervise students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned work day.
13. Participate in curriculum and other development programs.
14. Share in the sponsorship of student activities related to mathematics and participation in faculty committees.
15. Maintain professional competence through in service education activities provided by the district and/or in self-selected professional growth.
Sterling is located in Logan County in the Northeastern corner of Colorado on Interstate 76 alongside the Platte River. Having the largest population, approximately 13,900, in Logan County and much of the surrounding area, Sterling offers shopping, restaurants, numerous parks, a recreation center, access to medical care and is located near North Sterling Reservoir. Sterling is approximately 1 1/2 hours from Denver International Airport and 2 hours from Denver and the front range (I-25 corridor).
RE-1 Valley School District has two high schools, one middle school, one junior high school, three elementary schools and two preschools and serves approximately 2,200 students in the Sterling and Iliff/Crook areas, employing about 500 staff.
RE-1 Valley employs highly qualified, dedicated staff who believe our mission is to prepare all students for productive, successful lives beyond school through a balanced curriculum, activities, community experiences, global awareness, high expectations and interaction among students, parents and community. Visit the District website at www.re1valleyschools.org for more information including updated job postings and salary schedules.