JobID 181 : Support - School Bus Driver (#1799230)
School Bus Driver for Regular Education and Special Education
Job Title: School Bus Driver for Regular Education and Special Education
Credentials: "B" C.D.L. with passenger and endorsements. Oklahoma School Bus Driver's Certificate.
Education: High school diploma or GED
Training or experience required: Experience with children preferred. Must be able to obtain a CDL and certificate.
Reports to: Transportation Supervisor
Contract: 173 days
Salary Schedule: Bus Driver
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Essential Job Functions:
- Drive bus to and from school and other locations, following predetermined routes and time schedule. Operate wheelchair lift for those needing special assistance and ensures they are in proper seat restraints. May be required to alter routes to compensate for emergency weather/road conditions. Only allow authorized riders on bus and picks up and discharges riders at authorized stops.
- Maintain proper discipline on the bus and ensures that bus rules are followed to maintain safety of driver and passengers. Report incidents of rule violations to building principals or proper authority in order to correct the problem. May be required to talk with parents.
- Maintain cleanliness of bus and encourages students to follow bus rules relative to food, litter, etc.
- Complete bus inspection report before each operation. Inspect bus fluid weekly. Keep at least one half tank of fuel in bus at all times. Notify supervisor of routine preventive servicing (gas, oil, antifreeze, or lube).
- Immediately report any equipment or other mechanical problems to his/her supervisor. Notify supervisor or proper authority of all accidents and bus delays.
- Insure each student is provided a copy of the bus rider rules. Explain rules, regulations and safety precautions to the student riders each year and practices bus evacuations during the first two weeks of each semester.
- Assist with field/activity trips where personal schedules permit. Follow established procedures on field/activity trips.
- Must be familiar with school bus regulations as listed in manual for school bus drivers provided by the State Board of Education. Must practice safe driving operations at all times. Must obey all traffic laws and observe all safety regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Successful performance of the job requires good customer service/people skills and to handle problems and provide information and technical assistance as requested. It requires complying with safety guidelines and policies to reduce accident or injury to staff or to students. It requires following school dress standards, proper attendance or leave policies, and other work-habits concerns for staff. Creativity, initiative and effective problem solving are critical to the success of the position.Help manage the computerization of school district operations. Provide training and support to district staff in the use of administrative computer systems. Perform such tasks to the ultimate benefit of the educational program. An incumbent in this position will utilize discretion, ingenuity and independent judgment due to the complexity of the job. Since there may be several ways to solve a problem, an incumbent is free to choose the solution.In a workday, the employee must sit 2-3 hours per day; stand 3 hours per day; and walk 2 hours per day. Job requires occasional bending/stooping; squatting/crouching; occasional climbing 3 feet of steps to bus; occasional reaching above shoulder; continuous pushing/pulling. Job requires assisting monitors with riders who may need assistance to get on or off wheel chair ramp, and assist with lifting into seat if necessary. Such lifting can be up to 75 pounds. Job requires employee to use both feet for repetitive movements as in operating foot controls; to use both hands for such repetitive actions requiring simple to firm grasping. Employee must possess manual dexterity sufficient to operate bus safely. Employee must possess visual requirement enough to pass driving test, read signs, road hazards and be able to operate bus safely in adverse conditions. Employee must possess hearing requirement enough to hear riders, receive communications on radio and hear outside noises: sirens, horns, brakes, etc. that are necessary to operate bus safely. Employee must possess speaking requirement enough to give instructions/commands to riders, speak to parents, and other staff. Employee must have mobility enough to get on and off and around bus, to clean and provide routine inspection. Employee must have mental requirement to operate bus, follow safety rules, make sound decisions in often-stressful situations, and to handle confrontation effectively. Employee's job requires working close to machinery; working in the outdoors with temperature changes; driving motorized equipment; exposure to toxic gas, dust, fumes, gases. Must be a defensive driver and be extra careful at intersections, railroad crossings, and around other assembly areas. Employee must have the ability to handle disabled children.