JobID 3391 : Special Education Assistant (0904) (#1778137)
NORTHWEST INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
Job Title: Education Assistant – Special Education (0904)
Reports to: Principal
Wage/Hour Status: Non- Exempt
Dept. /School: Assigned Secondary campus
Pay Grade: P10
Duty Days: 187
Date Revised: 07/17
Assist the special education teacher to provide for physical, instructional, and behavioral needs of students with disabilities in special education and general education settings. Assist in implementation of classroom programs, including self-help, behavior management, and instruction programs. Work under general supervision of principal and immediate direction of certified teacher.
High school diploma or GED
Paraprofessional Aide certification from state of Texas
Ability to work with children with disabilities
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Ability to communicate effectively
Knowledge of general office equipment
Ability to physically manage students with motor and/or behavioral difficulties
Certification in Crisis Prevention Intervention
Major Responsibilities and Duties:1. Adhere to federal, state and local policies and procedures related to special education aides.
2. Participate in training related to special education students.
3. Participate in planned in-services and professional growth activities.
4. Assist in carrying out the instructional program.
5. Assist in maintaining student records and audit folders.
6. Assist in preparation, use and maintenance of instructional materials and equipment.
7. Assist with teacher-planned activities, exercises and drills.
8. Assist when needed in helping students in self care activities such as feeding, dressing and toileting.
9. Assist in implementing the therapy programs which may require lifting and positioning.
10. Assist in carrying out behavior interventions.
11. Attend professional meetings as required.
12. Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers.
13. Able to maintain confidentiality
14. Other duties as assigned
15. Use appropriate district approved physical safety techniques including restraint
16. Dress and shoes appropriate to job responsibilities
SHARS/ MAC / RMTS:
Northwest ISD participates in the School Health and Related Services (SHARS) and MAC programs which allows our district to request Medicaid reimbursement for certain health-related services. The Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) committee determines SHARS services.
As a special education staff member, you will be required to train and bill for SHARS reimbursements for students on your caseload. Trainings will be provided for SHARS, for RMTS (Random Moment in Time Studies), where staff are chosen randomly to answer a few questions, and for MAC (Diagnosticians and non-Personal Care Providers only). Training will be provided at the beginning of each school year as well as on an “as needed” basis for new hires.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A
Personal computer, printer, copier, and FAX machine, wheelchair lift, and ramps.
Working Conditions:Maintain emotional control under stress. Moderate standing, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, regular heavy lifting, and physical management of students. Exposure to biological hazards, bacteria and communicable diseases.
May be required to lift and position students with physical disabilities. Must have the ability to lift and carry 50 pounds or more; control behavior through physical restraint; and assist non-ambulatory students.
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.