JobID 9287 : School Nurse Consultant, District 6 (#1760091)
School Nurse Consultant, District 6
Salary Grade/Level/Family/Range: Certified Salary (Negotiable based on experience)
Contract Length/ Days: (2019-2020/188)
Date Posted: August 13, 2019
Deadline for application: Until-Filled
Applicant screening will begin no later than 08/20/2019. Applications are still accepted until the position is filled; however, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible.
- Completion of a bachelor's degree in nursing from an accredited institution of higher education.
- Successful completion of requirements for and holding a valid Colorado Registered Nurse license.
- Eligible for or licensed by the Colorado State Department of Education.
- American Heart Association First Aid and CPR certification.
- Must hold a valid Colorado driver's license.
- Eligible for Instructor's Certification CPR and First Aid.
- Participates in on-going professional training and in-services.
CPI training (Can obtain certification after hire)
The professional registered nurse consultant is prepared to practice within a complex and unpredictable district setting. Academic success is directly related to the status of a student's health. The nurse consultant, through collaboration on an interdisciplinary basis with other health and educational professionals, assumes a direct and responsible role in strengthening and facilitating the educational process. This broad collaboration is accomplished by improving and protecting the health status of students by identifying and assisting in the removal or modification of health-related barriers to learning and teaching, and providing a district-wide vision of health services. To this end, the nurse consultant is a skilled health evaluator, health-care giver, health advocate, change agent, manager, and serves as resource person and consultant to faculty, the student's family and the student's health care provider. Consultants also will be asked to complete other district-wide projects and task including extended educational opportunities for all students and special staff development projects. This position also will offer supervision of services and other specialized service providers and professional consulting services across the district.
Essential Job Functions:
- The nurse consultant adheres to:
- The Rules and Regulations as defined by the Colorado Nurse Practice Act;
- The State and District policies and procedures;
- The Standards of Professional School Nursing Practice;
- Colorado Specialized Service Professionals Colorado Quality Standards;
- Assignments are based upon consideration of geography, budget, number of work sites, number of specialized programs, and severity of medical and social needs.
- The nurse will work as a consultant for both regular and special education.
- Nurse Consultants will provide direct services at work sites weekly and visit as priorities evolve ad change.
- The nurse consultant will maintain current e-mail systems including daily receiving and sending of messages.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Serves as the primary consultant on health services and policies per district guidelines.
- Supervises and trains designated staff in student health procedures, routine care and safety.
- Delegate medication administration and nursing procedures to identified personnel according to district policy and state law.
- Maintains ongoing communication with administrators, health room paraprofessionals and staff.
- Develops, implements and reviews individualized health plans for students with chronic health problems and or potential life-threatening health concerns.
- Provides health assessments and consultation for Special Education, 504 and related services in accordance with nursing standards.
- Provides a resource for mental health promotion to include counseling, crisis intervention and referrals.
- Consults regarding family systems, cultural issues and social health problems.
- Provides health education, consultation, and promotion to improve student's school attendance and performance.
- Serves as a liaison among school, community, health agencies, health care providers, parents and students.
- Consults on communicable disease and public health issues as they arise.
- Adheres to the SSP Standards and School Nursing Practice.
- Applies appropriate nursing theory as a basis for decision making in nursing practice.
- Assumes responsibility for continuing education and professional development and contributes to the professional growth of others.
- Participates on selected task forces and committees.
- Complete special projects and staff trainings.
- Contributes to nursing and school health through participation in research as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Participates in Medicaid billing and referral to appropriate Medicaid personnel for qualified students and families.
- Supports procedures for crisis intervention for emergencies, acute illnesses, injuries, and emotional disturbances.
- Serves on Child Abuse Resource Team (CART) to identify, report, and support suspected victims of abuse/neglect.
- Participates in home visits when necessary to assess family needs as related to the student's health.
- Counsels with students concerning nutrition and eating disorders, chronic health conditions, mental health issues, problems such as substance abuse, sexually transmitted diseases, and pregnancy, in order to facilitate responsible decision-making practices.
- Monitors immunization status of students and promotes compliance with Colorado Immunization Laws.
- Monitors student accident /incident reports for school safety issues.
- Promotes a safe school environment.
- Experience working with children, school, and/or community health and supervisory experience desirable.
- Preference will be given to experience or education in the following areas:
- Pediatric and adolescent nursing including acute and chronic illness and development disabilities.
- Community health nursing.
- Physical assessment including health history.
- Consultation, group dynamics, and leadership skills, particularly in working with interdisciplinary teams.
- Facilitating interagency communication.
- Early childhood development and conditions, which affect development.
- Substance abuse and mental health.
- Federal, state, and regulations, which affect the education of the special need student.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Health Clerks
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
Ability to sit for long periods of time, numerous distractions, visual, auditory and ambulatory acuity important
Occasional lifting of up to 30 pounds
Must be able to follow oral and written directions and have the ability to establish effective working relationships with staff and students. Ability to maintain effective classroom management strategies. Visual, auditory and ambulatory ability. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Conflict management skills. Strong organizational skills. Empathetic. Positive relationship builder. Knowledge, skills and abilities sufficient to perform the function of the position as outlined.
Greeley-Evans School District 6 shall not discriminate in its employment or hiring practices on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, gender identity, marital status or disability. The District shall identify, solicit, and consider applicants for employment from a broad spectrum of qualified individuals who will contribute to that effort. The Superintendent is committed to cultural diversity among district personnel as a means of enriching educational experience. The District shall identify, solicit, and consider applicants for employment from a broad spectrum of qualified individuals who will contribute to that effort.
Apply online www.greeleyschools.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Regular attendance is required for this position.