JobID 359 : Social Studies Teacher - Middle School (#1756568)
JOB TITLE: Middle School Teacher
REPORTS TO: Middle School Principal and Assistant Principal
Under the general supervision of the Middle School Principal or Assistant Principal in his absence, the Teacher’s objective is to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing University Schools approved curriculum; document teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; address specific educational needs of individual students and create a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and to provide feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and administer middle school social studies curriculum consistent with University Schools goals and objectives.
- Promote a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Teach all required subject matters as assigned to the grade level, which may including reading, language arts, social studies, mathematics, science, STEM, world language, art and music to pupils in a classroom, utilizing course of study adopted by the Board of Governors, and other appropriate learning activities.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Instruct students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters specified in applicable laws, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of University Schools.
- Continue to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organize and maintain a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by University Schools procedures and applicable state laws.
- Encourage parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Serve as an advisor for middle school students in accordance with University Middle School programs and expectations with the primary responsibility to guide their advisee’s personal and academic achievement as well as direct the student-led parent conferences.
- Ensure that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and University Schools policies, and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinate with other middle school professional staff members, especially within grade level, to evaluate and assess curriculum, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Select and requisition appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Supervise students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day. This includes hallways, before and after school and including activities involving school transportation.
- Administer standardized tests in accordance with District/State/University Schools testing programs.
- Assist in coordinating extracurricular activities including student performance, assemblies and athletic events.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of middle school curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
Education and Related Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required in secondary education.
Licenses, Registrations or Certifications
- Colorado State Certification as a Teacher
- Colorado State Certification Endorsement in the appropriate grade level subject preferred.
- Background check required for hire.
Contact and Application Deadline: In order to be considered, you must submit the following items.
a. letter of interest
c. two letters of reference
d. teaching license
e. academic transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for initial screening only)
To apply, go to: https://www.universityschools.com > Departments > Job Opportunities