JobID 5053 : Child Care Program Special Education Paraprofessional (#1718754)
DESCRIPTION: Provide support to students with mild to moderate physical needs and/or cognitive disabilities in After School and/or Full Day Monday Childcare Program, including developing and conducting activities, and supervising students. Must be able to work with difficult and sometimes physical students. Ensure a safe, healthy, and secure environment for children. Maintain cleanliness and safety of the classroom.
Turnberry - Full Day Monday
SALARY: Classified Grade G, $14.60- $16.78 based on previous job experience. This is a part time position. Approximately 18 hours per week. Not eligible for benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise and assist children with craft projects, games, and activities while participating in the before and after school program. Some activities may include field trips.
- Assist students with their personal care needs including, toileting, self care (e.g., brushing teeth, washing face and hands, changing clothes, etc.), eating, transportation and communication.
- Assist students with their physical and/or occupational therapy needs.
- Provide direct instruction to students under the direction from the Day Care Manager or other Related Service Providers in accordance with their Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
- Follow through with prescribed behavior support plans throughout the school, community and during extra-curricular activities, including the monitoring of the playground to ensure safety and security of students.
- De-escalate students as needed using approved CPI measures as well as following the prescribed Behavior Intervention Plan.
- Identify and facilitate peer relationships and natural supports (assessments).
- Communicate observations, concerns, activities, and progress with the Day Care Manager.
- Sanitize classroom and equipment using approved materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Able to withstand extreme weather conditions such as extreme heat/sun exposure, wind, and rain.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with disabled students requiring various academic personal care needs.
- Skills in crisis management, flexibility, patience and ability to maintain composure under stressful conditions.
- Able to work independently, yet able to take directives and follow through.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) helpful.
- CPR and First Aid certification required.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
- Must be able to pass a post offer, pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to pass a Colorado and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check.
All future correspondence regarding this position will be handled via the email address that you provide on your online application. Please regularly check both your In-Box and SPAM folder for these email messages.