JobID 36759 : Certified - Substitute (District-Wide) - 2019-20 SY (#1638709)
REPORTS TO: School Principal
DEPARTMENT NAME: Leadership & Learning
JOB SUMMARY: In the absence of the regular classroom teacher to help students to learn subject matter and/or skills that are required for scheduled lessons and to provide meaningful instruction for assigned classrooms. Performs duties usually required of absent teacher such as lunchroom duty, hall monitoring, etc.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS: List, in the order of time spent, the essential tasks performed by the position. Employees may be assigned additional duties by management as required.
The statements in this job description are not an exhaustive list of all essential functions, duties and skills. Other duties may be added or deleted and this description may be amended at any time.
Job Responsibility 1: Reports to school office at beginning of school day to pick up required materials/schedule of classes and at the end of the school day to return materials. Follows sign out procedures as prescribed by the principal.
Job Responsibility 2: Carries out a program of study prescribed in the lesson plans left by the classroom teacher.
Job Responsibility 3: Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
Job Responsibility 4: Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and objectives as indicated in the lesson plans for the lessons, units, or projects assigned.
Job Responsibility 5: Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting lesson objectives.
Job Responsibility 6: Maintains a neat and orderly classroom. Straightens chairs, tables, clears chalkboard, etc. Takes attendance in accordance with school procedures.
Job Responsibility 7: Indicates to students at beginning of class the basic expectations for behavior in the class in accordance with school and Metro Nasvhille Public School policies.
Job Responsibility 8: Insures that the students are never left unattended in the classroom. Knows emergency evacuation routes for the classrooms assigned; procedures for referring students who are disciplinary problems; and school procedures and regulations.
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and valid teaching license; TN license preferred.
Prior teaching experience preferred.
**All steps below, including background check, must be completed BEFORE you will be contacted by the substitute office regarding orientation. All applications materials may be uploaded as part of your online application. **
1. Complete the online application inlcuding the addition of professional references.
2. Candidates applying as substitute teachers must submit official college transcripts to verify a minimum of 60 semester/90 quarter hours from an accredited college or university. Out of country candidates, must have transcripts evaluated by a Tennessee Department of Education (TDOE) approved agency.
3. All candidates must complete and clear a background check. You can register for the background check online at www.identogo.com or by phone at 1-855-226-2937. Upon registering you will be required to give this ORI code, TN930050Z. The cost of the fingerprinting is $35.15 and is payable by money order or via credit card in person at time of fingerprint appointment. Candidates must also complete an MNPS background check consent form. Forms are only available at the Murfreesboro Road location or at our offices on Bransford. Failure to complete the form will result in delayed processing of your background check. Special note: MNPS certificated retirees are exempt from the background check.
4. You must submit a photocopy of your social security card for payroll purposes. Additionally, you must submit one unexpired document from List A ONLY OR unexpired documents from BOTH List B and List C to the substitute office prior to being scheduled for orientation. Click on the link for a list of acceptable documents to bring,https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents/list-documents/form-i-9-acceptable-documents.
5. After successfully completing steps 1-5 and submitting the completed application packet, your application will be processed and you will be contacted to attend Substitute Orientation. Please allow a minimum of two weeks for your application to be processed and to be contacted regarding orientation. Again, the application must be submitted in its entirety in order to be processed and you be contacted for orientation. If you have questions regarding the application process or orientation, Susan Jordan at email@example.com.
Certified substitute teachers are paid according to the breakdown below:
Valid TN teaching license: $115 per 7.5 hour day
Substitute teachers are also eligible to receive up to an additional $30 per day if they work every school day within a pay week.
Americans With Disabilities Act Compliance
Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires MNPS to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.