Title: Bus Mechanic
Salary Range: $36,824 - $56, 118
Performs difficult skilled work repairing and maintaining gasoline and diesel powered equipment; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the Lead Bus Mechanic and Shop Foreman.
- Repairing, servicing and maintaining gasoline and diesel powered school buses and other automotive equipment; preparing and maintaining records and files.
- Diagnoses, adjusts, repairs, overhauls and services gasoline and diesel powered vehicles, air compressors, pump apparatus and hydraulic systems;
- Overhauls, fabricates and services automotive assemblies, systems and accessories such as drive train and rear axles, multi-speed transmissions, and hydraulic compressed air, vacuum and electric controls, air-conditioning electrical systems and components;
- Operates various types of shop equipment, machinery, precision instruments, specialized tools and devices such as dynamometers, boring bars, valve refacing and reseating equipment, dial gauges, wheel alignment gauges, clutch cover assembly devices, power saws, grinders, drill presses, lathes and welding equipment;
- Performs preventative maintenance inspections on buses, medium and light duty trucks, and automobiles;
- Installs, repairs and operates video monitoring equipment in school buses;
- Transport buses to and from drivers and to outside repair facilities;
- Prepares work orders for incoming work; assists in procuring parts;
- Responds to road calls and other emergency calls for service;
- Conducts state inspections;
- Performs related tasks as required.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the operation and repair of the components, systems and accessories of gasoline and diesel powered equipment and machinery; thorough knowledge of tools and equipment, as well as the special tools, gauges, machinery and shop equipment used in the repair, servicing and maintenance of transit equipment;
- Ability to detect by inspection any worn, defective or improperly adjusted parts;
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and to keep records of repair and service operations;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard school bus environment. Be able to work in confined spaces ranging between 28 to 41 inches. This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, and repetitive motions; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, peripheral vision, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts at or within arms length, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and considerable mechanical repair experience including some experience in repairing and maintaining diesel powered equipment.
Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Possession of a valid Virginia State Inspectors License and/or refrigerant recovery license or be willing to obtain one within 90 days of employment .
FLSA Status: Nonexempt