JobID 4865 : Head Custodian - Middle School (#1560819)
DESCRIPTION: Perform and supervise activities related to cleaning and minor maintenance of a middle school building and facilities.
SALARY: Classified Grade L, $17.77 - $19.96 per hour to start, depending on recent relevant experience. 10 hours per day, Tuesday through Friday, 12 month work schedule. Position eligible for benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directly supervises up to 5 employees at the assigned school. Positions supervised include Custodian I, Custodian II, and Substitute Custodians.
- Instruct and train new crewmembers on cleaning and building management techniques. Instruct and direct existing crewmembers and maintain time and activity records on employees.
- Oversee staff work. Deal with discipline problems and concerns, evaluate subordinates, and forward decisions to Principal or supervisor.
- Vacuum and sweep designated areas.
- Dust mop and wet mop assigned areas, using power equipment including wet and dry cleaners.
- Remove and dispense of trash from all trash receptacles.
- Clean furniture, chalkboards, white boards, trays, work surfaces, windows, and sills in designated areas.
- Clean, sanitize, and disinfect bathrooms.
- Monitor hallways to identify cleaning needs or hazards daily and as needed for special events. Also monitor student behavior in hallways.
- Repair facilities, including walls, stalls, desks, and equipment. Replace and clean lightbulbs.
- Perform general security for the facility, including checking for vandalism and making reports and repairs as necessary, turning on and off lights, and locking and unlocking facility at beginning and end of the day.
- Inventory, unpack, store, and order cleaning supplies, materials, and equipment as necessary within district guidelines.
- Set up furniture, bleachers, risers, and other equipment as needed for special events, and clean up facilities and ensure building security after events.
- Repair damaged lockers.
- Inspect playground equipment and surrounding playground area and grounds for safety hazards. Make repairs or notify Principal, Custodial Coordinator, or maintenance shop.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Valid Colorado driver’s license.
- First Aid and CPR certifications, and safety certification required within 6 months after hire.
- OSHA training, HazMat licensing, and BOCES training required within 1 year after hire.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds
- Must be able to pass a post offer, pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to pass a Colorado and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check.
- Over 2 and up to 3 years of experience in custodial field. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Must have knowledge of basic computer skills and operating Microsoft Outlook and Schooldude to create work orders.
- Communication, writing, interpersonal, supervisory, and basic math skills.
- Knowledge of custodial methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of school/facilities layout and location of circuit breakers, keys, and mechanical system shut-off switches/valves.
- Basic knowledge of maintenance and mechanical systems.
- Operating knowledge of and experience with basic cleaning equipment required.
- Operating knowledge of floor scrubber and waxer within 2 months after hire.
- Operating knowledge of snow removal equipment and hand tools required within 6 months after hire.
All future correspondence regarding this position will be handled via the email address that you provide on your online application. Please regularly check both your In-Box and SPAM folder for these email messages.
REPORTS TO BUILDING PRINCIPAL ///// SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT ///// DIRECT BANKING REQUIRED ///// AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER /////SCHOOL DISTRICT 27J NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION. No otherwise qualified student, employee, applicant for employment or member of the public shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to unlawful discrimination under any district program or activity on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex (which includes marital status), sexual orientation, disability or need for special education services. Discrimination against employees and applicants for employment based on age and genetic information is also prohibited in accordance with state and/or federal law. Any person having inquiries concerning the District’s non-discrimination policies should contact: General Counsel, School District 27J, 18551 E. 160th Avenue, Brighton, Colorado 80601, (303) 655-2900 for inquiries regarding Section 504 and the ADA. Contact Chief Human Resources Officer, School District 27J, 18551 E. 160th Avenue, Brighton, Colorado 80601.