JobID 1739 : Teacher - High School English Teacher (#1526491)
Mapleton Public Schools, Adams County District #1 does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, marital status, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its educational programs or activities. Inquiries may be referred to the Executive Director of Human Resources, 7350 N. Broadway, Denver, CO 80221 (303) 853-1000, or the US Dept. of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 1961 Stout Street, Denver, CO 80204.
THIS POSITION IS FOR THE 2019 - 2020 SCHOOL YEAR
POSITION: 1 –Secondary Language Arts Teacher (9th & 12th)
Colorado teaching license with an English Language Arts endorsement required. Additional endorsement in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education preferred. *
*Or willingness to pursue endorsement or equivalent coursework.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Out of District applicants may apply online at www.mapleton.us. Current employees may e-mail a letter of interest to Erica Branscum, Assistant Superintendent, Talent Recruitment and Development at HR@mapleton.us.
International Baccalaureate Design Overview---- The International Baccalaureate Organization offers a comprehensive and balanced curriculum coupled with challenging assessments aimed to develop the individual talents of young people and teach them to relate the experience of the classroom to the realities of the world outside. Strong emphasis is placed on the ideals of international understanding and responsible citizenship so that IB students may become critical and compassionate thinkers, lifelong learners, and informed participants in their world.
A Program of Inquiry is the framework used to integrate the curriculum and is designed around six organizing themes, which have global significance. Children explore these themes from multiple perspectives through inquiry-based instruction. The six organizing themes are:
Who we are; Where we are in place and time; How we express ourselves; How the world works; How we organize ourselves; and Sharing the Planet
Primary Years Program---The Primary Years Program offers a comprehensive, inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning. It provides an internationally designed model for concurrency in learning and incorporates guidelines on student learning styles, teaching methodologies and assessment strategies. The curriculum framework is an expression and extension of three inter-related questions: What do we want to learn? How best will we learn? How will we know what we have learned? Children from the age of eight are expected to begin learning a modern foreign language in order to enhance an international perspective. PYP is designed for grades K-5.
Middle Years Program--Five ideas known as the areas of interaction give the curriculum model its' distinctive core. These are common themes embedded within, and visible across the specific disciplines. The five areas are: approaches to learning which concentrates on the development of effective study skills; community service; health and social education; environment; and homo faber (Man the Maker) which is concerned with the products of the creative and inventive genius of people. The MYP includes grades 6-12.
- Someone who is motivated, flexible, dedicated, organized and creative
- Willing to undergo mandatory training in the International Baccalaureate Model (teaching positions may require extensive out of state, district supported training)
- Fully participate in the planning and implementation of this model through a building wide collaborative effort
- Take leadership in development of school structures and programs to support the model.
- Observe colleagues and provide feedback regarding the use of different instructional practices and facilitate the development of program "planners". Be an active participant in constant instructional improvement and reflection
- Must possess a "we" attitude and be a "positive" contributor to the overall climate and culture of a new emerging school
- Weekly ongoing professional development with Administration and IB Coordinator
- Other duties as assigned/necessary