Title: School Psychologist
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: To provide diagnostic assessments of academic, behavioral, and social/emotional abilities and provide educational recommendations based on those
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.1. Serves on the special education eligibility committee and gifted eligibility committee.
2. Serves as a resource person for areas of intellectual and emotional development, and
educational skills as they relate to the general education program development as well
as special educational services
3. Refers individuals to community agencies to secure mental health, medical, vocational, or
social services for the child or family.
4. Provides a complete assessment of the intellectual and emotional exceptionalities of
referred students, includes a compilation of students’ strengths and weaknesses, and
interprets the information for parents, teachers, and administrators.
5. Assists in promoting communication between students, teachers, administrators, and
parents within the school division
6. Collaborates with teachers and other staff members in implementing specific academic,
behavioral and social/emotional interventions to meet the varying needs of learners.
7. Provides information, support, and counseling to students when appropriate
8. Assists students in immediate crisis as needed.
9. Assists with planning and implementing appropriate research in the area of exceptional
10. Participates as a member of the Threat Assessment Team.
11. Performs other duties as may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
1. Holds a Master’s Degree
2. Holds certification as a School Psychologist
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid certification to meet State requirements with specific endorsement in the area to which assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, talk, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Eleven-month employment. Salary to be determined by the School Board.
Performance of the position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provisions of the Prince Edward County School Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.