JobID 4493 : 1st Grade (#1511939)
Calendar: 185 Days
Priority Screen Date: May 5, 2019
SUMMARY: This position plans and provides instruction to students based on state, District, and school curricula and requirements and based on the students’ social and other formative skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Teaching In General:
- Demonstrates Effective Planning and Preparation
- Demonstrates knowledge of content pedagogy and knowledge of students and their developmental needs.
- Develops clear and relevant instructional goals based on important content area concepts and suitability for students.
- Uses a wide variety of resources appropriate for diverse learning styles.
- Designs coherent instruction for flexible groupings that includes, clear and focused lesson structure and appropriate timing according to student needs.
- Plans lessons with assessment in mind.
- Establishes a Classroom Environment Conducive to Learning
- Creates a respectful classroom environment by establishing positive and respectful teacher-student interactions that are appropriate to developmental and cultural norms.
- Establishes a culture for learning by setting an expectation for learning and achievement, conveying the importance of the content, and displaying knowledge of students’ skills.
- Manages classroom procedures and protocols, including those regarding instructional groups, transitions, handling materials and supplies, and performing non-instructional duties.
- Manages student behavior by establishing clear expectations, monitoring and dealing with students throughout class time, and following through appropriately to correct misbehavior while respecting student dignity.
- Organizes classroom space for safety and for effective learning.
- Provides Effective Instruction
- Communicates clearly and accurately, using appropriate vocabulary for age and interests.
- Uses questioning and discussion techniques effectively to engage students.
- Engages students in learning through use of content activities and assignments, student groupings, a wide variety of instructional materials, and the structure and pacing of the lessons.
- Provides specific and timely feedback to students.
- Is flexible and responsive to student learning by adjusting lessons, responding to student questions and interests, and persisting in providing a variety of approaches when students have difficulties.
- Demonstrates professional responsibility
- Reflects on own teaching by assessing a lesson’s effectiveness and drawing on a repertoire of alternative approaches.
- Maintains accurate records of students’ completion of assignments, student progress, and other non-instructional records.
- Communicates to engage families in the instructional program by providing information about the instructional programs and individual student progress.
- Contributes to the school and the District by establishing and maintaining professional relationships with colleagues and participating in District and school projects/extracurricular activities.
- Grows and develops professionally by seeking out opportunities for professional development and by participating in professional service activities.
- Shows professionalism by seeking out resources to proactively serve students, advocating for students, and actively participates in team or departmental decision making.
- Attendance: Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in the employer’s sole discretion.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
- Has valid State of Utah Elementary or Early Childhood Teacher License and an endorsement for subject(s) taught; or is participating in the USOE’s ARL program. APT license does not meet minimum qualifications for this position.
- Has the ability to operate standard office and classroom equipment, including computer, printer, smartboard, copier, phone, and fax.
- Professional communication skills including, but not limited to: excellent written and verbal communications skills; confident, articulate and professional speaking abilities; and emphatic listening and persuasive speaking skills.
- Written Comprehension: Reads and understands information and ideas presented in writing.
- Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides numbers quickly and correctly.
- Multi-Tasks: Is able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously using appropriate priorities for completing the tasks.
- Planning: Establishes courses of action for self or for students. Allocates resources effectively. Uses time efficiently. Is well-organized.
- Interpersonal Skills: Maintains effective relationships with others.
- Student Development: Uses available training and development resources to improve students’ skills and abilities. Helps students achieve skills, knowledge and abilities required for advancement to next grade level or for graduation.
- Classroom Management Skills: Establishes techniques to effectively monitor and supervise student work and student learning.
- Communicates with students in a multi-media environment.
- Has the ability to move around a classroom to assist students.
- Performs essential duties and responsibilities efficiently, accurately and safely, with or without reasonable accommodation, and without posing a threat of harm to self or others.
- Is bilingual: Is able to speak, read, and write Spanish or other language representative of student population fluently.
- Has ESL endorsement or will attain one within 4 years of initial employment with the District.
- Uses good judgement when interacting with students and parents.
- Works collegially with other teachers and staff in the school.
- Risks found in the typical work environment which is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance for the purpose of fulfilling job requirements efficiently. Will be required to attend activities, events, and meetings outside of normal work hours on a regular basis.
- Driving to work locations
- Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to perform the work: however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, carrying light items, etc…