JobID 4574 : Special Ed Paraprofessional ~ SED (Autism) (#1352402)
DESCRIPTION: Provide direct academic and behavioral support for students with social and/or emotional disabilities in the Autism Center-based classroom in order to allow them the greatest opportunity for academic success and access to general education curriculum.
SALARY: Classified Grade E, $13.08 - $14.70 depending on relevant experience. 4 hours per day, 11:00am - 3:00pm, Tuesday through Friday, temporary position through the end of the school year (May 24, 2109). Position is not eligible for benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct instruction and/or academic support and supervision for students with social/emotional disabilities in accordance with their Individualized Education Plan (IEP) while in special education and general education classrooms and other areas within the school building.
- Provide direct instruction; modify academic materials and/or the classroom environment under direction from the Special Education teacher or other Related Service Providers.
- Identify and facilitate peer relationships and natural supports (assessments).
- Follow through with prescribed behavior intervention plans throughout the school and community and during extra-curricular activities, including monitoring of the lunchroom, playground, or other school areas to ensure safety and security of students.
- Maintain required forms and records as requested by the Special Education Teacher and/or Related Service Providers.
- De-escalate students as needed using approved CPI measures, as well as following the prescribed Behavior Intervention Plan.
- Communicate observations, concerns, activities and progress with the Special Education Teachers and other Therapists or Specialists.
- Assist both Special Education and General Education teachers with minor clerical duties as needed.
- Attend trainings as required by Building Principal, Special Education Teacher, and/or Director of Special Education.
- Attend student staffings as requested by Special Education Teacher and/or Related Services Providers.
- Collaborate with other paraprofessionals and follow direct instruction from special education team.
- Follow daily routines and schedules for individual students to implement consistency
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as Behavior Intervention Plans, IEPs, and staff and student handbooks.
- Ability to collect data, write routine reports and simple correspondences.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic math, including algebra and geometry.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred at time of hire or able to obtain within 2 months of hire.
- Must be able to pass a post offer, pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to pass a Colorado and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience working with students with social and/or emotional disabilities preferred but not required.
- Skills in crisis management, flexibility, patience and ability to maintain composure under stressful conditions.
- Valid driver’s license is required to obtain a small vehicle permit, if required to transport students.
All future correspondence regarding this position will be handled via the email address that you provide on your online application. Please regularly check both your In-Box and SPAM folder for these email messages.