Substitute Clinic Assistant
Title: Substitute Clinic Assistant
Salary: $20.36/PER HOUR
7 Hours Per Day
- Performs responsible paraprofessional work assisting the school nurse by providing care for ill and injured students; does related work as required. Work is performed under the regular supervision of the School Nurse.
- Providing nursing care and physical screening to students; assisting in the maintenance and operation of a school clinic.
- Performs health care services to students in school system;
- Performs nursing assessment of students sent to school health clinic;
- After observation and assessment, counsels student and reports problems observed to registered nurse;
- Administers medications and first-aid;
- Assists with screening and testing students for hearing and vision problems, height, weight and blood pressure;
- Keeps logs of visits and care given; maintains adequate clinic supplies;
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Uses medical equipment to provide health care to students/staff, including, but not limited to, blood glucose monitor, stethoscopes, thermometers, sphygmomanometers.
- Uses personal computers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the common medical practices, procedures and techniques associated with a standard physical examination;
- some knowledge of the preliminary diagnosis of medical problems and the administration of medications related to treatment and first aid;
- ability to administer medications and apply therapeutic treatments as required;
- ability to follow technical oral and written instructions in exact detail;
- ability to maintain accurate records.
Adhere to all applicable professional safety standards and practices in the nursing field, including requirements set forth in federal and state law, and Occupational Safety and Health regulations.
Implements Board Policy regarding Blood Borne Pathogens and other Board policies regarding the medical or health care of employees and students.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Work in standard school building environment.
- Exposure to body secretions, blood borne pathogens, medicine and medicinal supplies, illnesses and diseases.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
License or Certificate:
- License Practical Nurse, designated as LPN. as defined and determined by state law, and currently licensed in the state.
- Current certification in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).