JobID 4507 : Staff Accountant (#1310574)
DESCRIPTION: Maintains the integrity of the financial reporting system by reconciling all fund types and bank statements, analyze funds and assists end-users with financial and/or accounting policies and procedures. Conduct research, analysis, development, and summarization of financial information for audit purposes, financial reporting used for the Comprehensive Annual Report (CAFR). Develop and implement financial internal controls. Preparing and entering journal entries into the general ledger.
SALARY: Administrative / Professional / Technical Salary Schedule S1, starting at $4,205.25 to $5,128.42 per month. Placement will be based on applicable experience. 8 hours per day, Monday through Friday, 12 month work schedule. Position is eligible for benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews, interprets and enter all adjusting journal entries and budget transfers, maintains the general ledger for the purpose of providing an audit trail for compliance with the Colorado State Chart of Accounts, Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Serves as a mentor to the finance department and local charter schools, answering accounting questions and training on internal accounting procedures and Board policies.
- Advise and trains district personnel, how to access information in the district accounting system, accounting codes, Board policies, and financial procedures and state guidelines.
- Works with outside agencies to include Colorado Department of Education, external Board auditors, and state auditors (list is not inclusive) to answer questions, provide requested documentation and explanation of internal district policies and controls of financial data.
- Serves as the main point of contact to the ALIO Financial systems support group to maintain accounting software.
- Perform the monthly accounting close. Uploading purchasing card entries, verify all journal entries have been entered for the current period, reconcile monthly reoccurring journal entries for accuracy and completeness. Verify that all entries are accurate and that all funds are balanced and correctly showing on the general ledger. Reconcile the monthly bank statement to accounting entries, checking for accuracy and that all funding is accounted for. Maintain and update financial transparency requirements.
- Review internal controls and procedures and make recommendations to maintain compliance with state regulations, Board policies, GAAP requirements and to improve efficiency. Assist in the roll out of all changes and assist school locations on integrating the updates.
- Compile necessary reports and documents as requested during the interim and year end audits. Research and provide necessary data and reports in response to all audit requires. Coordinate all members of the finance team to quickly resolve auditor inquiries.
- Assist the Finance Director with compiling and preparing all financial reports and notes for the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). Compile and upload financial data for the Colorado Department of Education’s automated data exchange (ADE).
- Prepare the annual financial report for the Capital Facilities Fee Foundation.
- Initiate the transfer of all accounting information to the new fiscal year. Reconcile beginning year fund balances to ensure that the new year is open and available for the district. Tracking, positing and reporting on all district leases, bond refinancing and notes payables.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with major coursework in accounting or a closely related field. CPA or Master’s degree in accounting, finance or related field is a plus.
- Strong technical knowledge of accounting standards and financial statement reporting
- Expert competence with spreadsheet, accounting software and knowledge of computers are essential
- Excellent organizational skills in a complex environment
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- General Ledger software (Alio) preferred at the time of hire but not required.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to pass a CBI and FBI background check
- Three years of general ledger accounting experience required.
- Governmental accounting experience preferred.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, & EQUIPMENT:
- Oral and written communication, basic microcomputer, and 10-key calculator skills.
- Basic knowledge of governmental fund accounting and auditing.
- Knowledge of computerized financial accounting systems.
- Operating knowledge of and experience with microcomputers, 10-key calculator, and spreadsheet software.
- Operating knowledge of financial management software required within 6 months after hire.
All future correspondence regarding this position will be handled via the email address that you provide on your online application. Please regularly check both your In-Box and SPAM folder for these email messages.
REPORTS TO BUILDING CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER and DIRECTOR OF ACCOUNTING ///// SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT ///// DIRECT BANKING REQUIRED ///// AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER /////SCHOOL DISTRICT 27J NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION. No otherwise qualified student, employee, applicant for employment or member of the public shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to unlawful discrimination under any district program or activity on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex (which includes marital status), sexual orientation, disability or need for special education services. Discrimination against employees and applicants for employment based on age and genetic information is also prohibited in accordance with state and/or federal law. Any person having inquiries concerning the District’s non-discrimination policies should contact: General Counsel, School District 27J, 18551 E. 160th Avenue, Brighton, Colorado 80601, (303) 655-2900 for inquiries regarding Section 504 and the ADA. Contact Chief Human Resources Officer, School District 27J, 18551 E. 160th Avenue, Brighton, Colorado 80601.