JobID 198 : Substitute Teacher (#1273952)
Job | Posted 9 months ago
Prospect Ridge AcademyCreating Academic, Social, and Ethical Leaders
Substitute Teacher Job Description
All employees at Prospect Ridge Academy (PRA) work together to create academic, social, and ethical leaders. The thoughts reflected in this description provide structure to the responsibilities and accountabilities for this position. However, Prospect Ridge Academy expects to employ professionals who will work beyond job descriptions, creating both a fulfilling career environment and successful outcomes for our students.
The Substitute Teacher is responsible for the education of each pupil in his or her charge for the duration of the assignment. The Substitute Teacher must maintain classroom discipline and routines to the best of their abilities while working with students, parents, other teachers and staff toward achieving the goals set forth in the Prospect Ridge Academy Mission Statements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a positive learning environment and respond to the individual needs of the students.
- Implement effective lessons in the absence of the regular Instructor.
- Ensure that PRA policies are observed during all activities.
- Create a safe classroom environment that is conducive to learning.
- Keep all children in the classroom under supervision at all times.
- Be familiar with fire exits, safety maps/routes and safety procedures (fire, tornado and lockout/lockdown etc.).
- Review notes for the day, take attendance and follow the lesson plans of the teacher.
- Maintain confidentiality as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt to circumstances. Exhibit good judgment and use appropriate language and behavior while on assignment.
- Remain on duty for the entire assignment, including the planning time of the teacher.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Abide by state statutes, school board policies and regulations.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, school policy and administrative regulation.
- Leave detailed notes for teacher on any issues experienced during the day.
- Other duties as assigned by the Principal or the Office Manager.
Education and/or Experience
- College degree required
- Teaching or Substitute Certification
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Strong organizational and coordination skills
- Ability to assess grade level needs and plan and organize accordingly
- Strong self-starter; able to work with limited direction
- Excellent interpersonal skills, conflict management skills, problem solving skills and demonstrated leadership abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Resourceful in generating creative solutions to problems.
- Ability to apply superb judgment
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, policy and expectation documents, staff agreements, evaluation rubrics, individual mathematics plans, math assessments, and district math report documents. Ability to effectively document classroom observations, analyze data to improve instructional practices and correspond with staff from all levels. Ability to speak effectively before groups of staff, Board of Directors, Administrators and parents.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This is a position that must attend the needs of staff, Administrators, Prospect Ridge Academy Board of Directors and parents. Prospect Ridge Academy is a dynamic school subject to changing work environments, adaptation of new educational principles and values, and shifting culture. Adaptability to change is essential.