Special Education Generalist
James Irwin Charter Academy is a K-5, core knowledge, direct instruction school. Our mission is to help guide students in the development of their character and academic potential through academically rigorous, content-rich educational programs. James Irwin Charter Academy is one of only eight CSI schools to earn a “Performance with Distinction” rating based on 2018-2019 performance. CSI—which authorizes James Irwin Charter Academy—assigns a rating and accredits its schools each fall based on its school performance framework, which considers a school’s academic, financial, and organizational data from the previous school year. JICA met expectations on CMAS English Language Arts and Science state assessments. Our students exceeded expectations on CMAS Math assessments. We accomplish this through the hard work and dedication of our educators. We exist to provide a new found hope to parents, students and families who have lost faith in the education system. Our focus is on student character development and student mastery of our critical paths of reading, math, and writing. We are a staff of educators with a genuine love for children, a belief that all students can learn and want to learn, and an enduring commitment to the students of James Irwin Charter Academy.
JOB SUMMARY: The Licensed Special Education Teacher develops and provides specialized instruction to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities; Evaluates and assesses student progress against instructional objectives; follows State mandated due process procedures and functions as IEP Manager to assigned students.
EXPERIENCE Prefer prior experience as a special education teacher in a K-5 public school setting
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE Requires completion of an approved program for the preparation of special education generalists from a regionally accredited college or university or 24 hours as determine by the CDE Requires passing scores on both Elementary Education (PLACE 01 or Praxis #5018 or Praxis #5001 with passing scores on all subtests) and Special Education Generalist (PLACE 20 or Praxis #5354 content exams Holds a CDE-issued Special Education Generalist or Special Education Specialist license
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ROLE-SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide specialized individual and group instruction to students with a range of academic, vision, hearing, physical, communicative, social, emotional and/or behavioral challenges
- Employs various research-based teaching techniques, methods and principles of learning to enable students to meet their IEP goals.
- Administer and interpret a variety of standardized and non-standardized academic assessments to assist with special education and 504 eligibility determinations according to Charter School Institute, Federal, and State regulations and procedures
- Assist team members in developing and implementing IEPs as appropriate ? Assist with conducting functional behavior assessments and developing behavior intervention plans with the assistance other team members
- Assist with the implementation and monitoring of behavior intervention plans ? Observe students in classroom and unstructured settings as needed to conduct evaluations, monitor student interventions and to provide staff consultation
- Provide consultation to classroom teachers regarding classroom adaptions, instructional modifications, assistive technology, behavior modification plans and other similar instructional interventions to meet the needs of students with disabilities
- Participate in the school’s MTSS/RtI processes to design, implement, and monitor student response to research-based interventions for targeted academic, social, emotional and behavioral needs
- Direct the services of educational assistants and coach them to implement accommodations, behavior