External Specialist - Diverse Learners
Who We Are:
Waukegan Community Unit School District No. 60 serves nearly 17,000 students in preschool through grade 12 and is located halfway between Chicago, Illinois and Milwaukee, Wisconsin on the shores of Lake Michigan. The District has one
early learning center, 15 elementary schools, five middle schools and a high school program divided between two 9 – 12 thgrade campuses. The District encompasses portions of Waukegan, Beach Park and Park City.
Why We Do This Work:
The Waukegan Community Unit School District No. 60 has set an ambitious agenda for change, guided by the belief that all children, regardless of circumstances, can achieve at high levels and academic gaps can and will be eliminated with the
support of teachers who deliver engaging, relevant, and academically rigorous instruction that excites students and instills alove of learning in them.
What We Need:
The Diverse Learner External Specialist will be directly responsible to the Director of Diverse Learners and Senior Legal Compliance and Supports Officer.
- Provide support to Case Managers, Principals, and other staff members regarding IEP development, implementation, processing referrals for special education and related services and conducting evaluations;
- Ensure staff members have an understanding of the IEP process;
- Act as the Local Education Agency (LEA) for various IEP meetings as assigned;
- Complete and submit Program Change Forms;
- Support exiting students from IEP database system;
- Provide instructional support to assigned buildings and/or actively coach staff in all aspects of the IEP process;
- Assist in scheduling IEP meetings;
- Update monthly staff lists;
- Conduct quality control audits on IEP paperwork;
- Coach and monitor the development of special education procedures and provide guidance to ensure fidelity of implementation;
- Assist teachers with the development of student led IEPs and attend IEPs as needed;
- Ensure IEP is appropriately disseminated to relevant staff;
- Participate in appropriate building level meetings;
- Regularly meet with the Director of Diverse Learners or designee as it relates to compliance needs;
- Under the guidance of the Director of Diverse Learners and Senior Legal Compliance and Supports Officer, provide training on high quality IEP development to school staff;
- Provide case management for assigned buildings as directed;
- Serve as a member of the Diverse Learner Department;
- Attend workshops, department and school-based meetings as it relates to the position;
- Perform such duties as may be assigned.
- Preferred 3 years of Special Education knowledge and leadership experience;
- Valid Professional Educator License (LBS1 endorsement);
- Expertise in best practices in teaching and coaching strategies;
- ESL or bilingual background helpful.
Salary: Per teacher contract with a $5000 stipend
Additional Information: Hours to be determined per teacher contract; May work up to 20 additional paid days before and/or after the school year as determined by the district.
Application Deadline: Candidates must submit an online application by the closing date.
Waukegan Community Unit School District 60 offers employment opportunities without regard to age, gender, race, color, national origin,
religion, marital or military/veteran status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, genetics or disability.