School Administrative Assistant/Secretary
The School of St. Mary is looking to hire an Administrative Assistant/School Secretary at our Upper Grade Campus. The person we are seeking for this position is one that is people oriented, can multi-task, understands school office duties, and is highly organized. The school secretary has to complete work in a timely manner to meet deadlines while keeping schedules for teachers, principals, and events. This same secretary must greet all visitors, answer the school phone to direct calls, and make announcements.
The administrative assistant performs administrative and secretarial support necessary to accomplish objectives established by the principal; adapts to the variety of responsibilities; presents a positive image in contacts with parents, guardians, community, staff and students; handles confidential matters relating to students, financial records, parents, staff and any other school related issues with security and professionalism. The administrative assistant has computer skills and the ability to apply these skills effectively and efficiently.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain and update school database; mailing labels, lists
- Review school invoices, obtain purchaser review and approval, obtain principal approval and forward to Business Office for payment
- Complete deposit forms and include with all cash/checks forwarded to the Business Office
- School calendars
- Oversee non-monetary donations to the school with a thank you letter and tax credit as needed
- Copier machine in the teachers’ work area:
- Office/school files/records (paper and electronic)
- Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) reports
- Substitute teachers
- Contacting substitutes for teachers that are absent
- Maintaining accurate paperwork for all substitutes hired
- Creating solutions for classroom coverage when substitutes are unavailable
- Arrange coverage for teachers when they are called into meetings and conferences
- Maintain and update substitute teacher list
- Student school records:
- Building security
- Coordinate the school calendar with the hot lunch program
- Administer the School Milk Program
- Assist the principal with daily communication to teachers and students through announcements, emails, etc.
- Answer phones and screens calls for the principal.
- Answer phones for teachers or staff as needed, and when able, takes messages or transfers the call to the appropriate party or voicemail
- Respond to callers and visitors by providing general information and assistance with regard to School activities and procedures
- Notify teachers when parents request homework for the day
- Prepare correspondence and reports using various word processing, database and spreadsheet software on a school issued computer. May draft correspondence for the principal’s signature, or send out correspondence in her own name on behalf of the principal.
- Uses PC graphic software to prepare special notices and postings
- Open and sort mail for the principal; prioritize the principal's mail, noting items that require immediate attention or seem to be important
- Relay school incidents/concerns/needs to the principal
- Communicate with parents answering emails through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assist Parents’ Association with communication to school parents regarding meetings, news and events
- Assist the School of St. Mary Student Council with communications and mailings for news and events
- Communicate with bus company to schedule transportation during school year for field trips, all-school Masses, holidays, ½ days or early dismissal days, and any other school schedule changes
- Get messages to students about transportation and/or changes in after school plans
- First Aid:
- Act as a liaison between school maintenance personnel and school staff, faculty and parents
- Assist the principal with setup and preparation of meetings such as reservation of facilities, equipment, etc.
- Provide an appropriate level of hospitality to visitors and meeting attendees, including arranging for coffee and/or other refreshments when required or instructed by the principal
- Responsible for students dropped off at school before the school day begins
- Responsible for students not picked up by parents after school