Educational Assistant - Self Contained
Who We Are:
Waukegan Community Unit School District No. 60 serves nearly 17,000 students in preschool through grade 12 and is located halfway between Chicago, Illinois and Milwaukee, Wisconsin on the shores of Lake Michigan. The District has one early learning center, 15 elementary schools, five middle schools and a high school program divided between two 9 – 12th grade campuses. The District encompasses portions of Waukegan, Beach Park and Park City.
Why We Do This Work:
The Waukegan Community Unit School District No. 60 has set an ambitious agenda for change, guided by the belief that all children, regardless of circumstances, can achieve at high levels and academic gaps can and will be eliminated with the support of teachers who deliver engaging, relevant, and academically rigorous instruction that excites students and instills a love of learning in them.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The educational assistant is directly responsible to the assigned classroom teacher, building principal and building principal's designee and in-directly responsible to the Director of Special Education and Chief Academic Officer of Academic Affairs.
- Assist in the instruction of students with disabilities under the direct supervision of a fully certified teacher;
- Instructional assistance, under the direct supervision of a special education teacher shall include duties: serving students with any disability or disabilities in educational setting appropriate to meet the educational requirements set forth by the district, federal and state mandates, and individualized education plans;
- Prepare materials for various levels of instruction in collaboration with the teacher and under direct supervision of the teacher;
- Assist with the provided supplemental and follow up activities to instructional content and materials;
- Participate in parent/guardian, conference meetings when requested to attend during the regular scheduled day; (6) Maintain a good rapport with parent/guardian;
- Maximize student interaction by providing opportunities to participate in instruction with their non-disable peers under the direct supervision of the teacher;
- Assist with the provided appropriate modifications and accommodations to ensure success;
- Assist in communication to staff, students and parent/guardian;
- Assist with maintaining order by enforcing district behavior codes; classroom rules and student behavior intervention plans;
- Assist with classroom record keeping at the direction of the teacher;
- Assist with operation of classroom equipment with proper training that includes, but is not limited to computers and various software programs, overhead projectors, LCD etc.;
- Arrange and maintain bulletin board displays;
- If required assist with supervising lunchroom, hall and playground areas that pertain to the classroom to which assistant was assigned;
- Assist is food preparation and food clean up during snack or lunch if applicable;
- As assigned, provide one on one assistance to students;
- With proper training, assist students with personal care needs including but not limited to: toileting (including diaper changing), dressing, feeding (excludes tube feeding)/opening food packages and physical movement under the supervision of OT/PT and/or SLP;
- Follow all district and building rules, regulations and procedures and adhere to negotiated contracts provisions;
- Uphold the ethical standards of Waukegan Public Schools. For example, confidentiality;
- Responsible to report all personal absences to the building principal or designee;
- Other related duties as assigned.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the essential functions and related requirements of persons assigned to this job. They are not intended as an exhaustive list of job duties, responsibilities, and requirements.
Qualifications: Professional Educators License - ELS(PARA)
Endorsement(s): Paraprofessional Educator Pre-Kindergarten through Age 21
Compensation: Per Contract language
Application Deadline: Candidates must submit an online application by closing date.
Only online applications will be considered.
Waukegan Community Unit School District 60 offers employment opportunities without regard to age, gender, race, color, national origin,
religion, marital or military/veteran status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, parental status, genetics or disability.